Football Seahawks Fined $300,000...

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
The Seattle Seahawks were fined $300,000...for practicing too much? According to Ian Rappaport the Seahawks violated the collective bargaining agreement by involving players in "excessive levels of on-field contact” during minicamp.

Furthermore, the Seahawks will forfeit two days of their mandatory minicamp next season (2015), since they were fined for something similar in 2012.

I know it's all in the collective bargaining agreement but, and I've said this before, we're headed more and more towards flag football all the time. What the heck is excessive levels of on-field contact? This is freaking football people!! It's a contact sport for crying out loud!

I suppose if it in the bargaining agreement they should be following it to a T, but not like they don't pay these guys pretty good (heck even the practice squad gets paid I think, and sure even they make more than most of us make ;) ) so guess I don't get the need for that in their agreement (but then I'm an old school old man LOL).

I'm with you there, Dwight! They get paid a lot more than they should, or at least that's my opinion (might be different if I actually played), but they are entertainers after all and entertainment pays huge in today's society. I just think it would be a lot more entertaining if they'd go back to the days of letting those guys knock the crap out of each other without fearing a fine that rivals some people's annual salary.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014...ce-squad-primer-rules-size-eligibility-salary

Practice squad players earn significantly less than players on the active roster, but they still take home a solid weekly paycheck. NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $6,300 per week that they are on the practice squad.

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-veteran-discounts/

So even the minimum is more than many of us make in 10 years. And I don't buy into the danger aspect as there are other jobs more dangerous per capita that probably make under 50K a year (loggers, roughnecks, miners, police, firefighters, etc.....)

OK sign me up for the practice squad. I'm not picky almost any team will do, but I am closest to the Ravens and Redskins geologically. :cool: Even one of the teams I don't like I'd gladly take in $6,000/week even it was just for a month or two out of the year.

Back