Football Crabtree to debut after 49ers bye week

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
San Francisco fans will have to wait a little longer to see Michael Crabtree on the field as the wide receiver will not be activated for Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons and is expected to make his NFL debut after the 49ers bye week on Oct. 25 at Houston.

After a drawn-out negotiation process, the rookie signed a six-year contract early Wednesday for $32 million that could maximize to $40 million if he achieves every incentive in the deal, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

The former Texas Tech star was the only draft pick who hadn't signed.

"Everybody came to a reachable agreement and it happened," Crabtree said Wednesday, sporting a red No. 15 practice jersey and charcoal gray sweats. "I'm just glad I'm past that part. I'm very humble right now, man, it's a very humbling experience. Just getting a chance to sit back and better myself as a person, as a player, as a teammate. ... I feel like going through that it made me look at the world in a different way, look at my teammates a different way. Hopefully it will work out for the best."

According to the source, Crabtree has a couple of scenarios that could void the sixth year of his contract. If he goes to a Pro Bowl during his first four years, along with playing 80 percent of the offensive snaps during a separate season in which the 49ers reach the playoffs, the source said the contract voids to five years. Another provision would be going to a Pro Bowl in the first four years along with going to a second Pro Bowl in five years.

Crabtree could provide the game-breaking receiving threat the 49ers have been lacking, assuming he can quickly learn the offense after missing all of training camp. The 10th pick overall, he also sat out offseason minicamps and organized team activities while recovering from a foot injury, but was a regular presence at the team's training facility.

Crabtree caught 97 passes for 1,165 yards and scored 19 touchdowns last year, his sophomore season at Texas Tech. He finished his college career with 231 receptions for 3,127 yards and 41 touchdowns.

Back