Jets or Giants to play first game at new stadium???

GiantFan

Bench Warmer
So, the Jets and Giants were fighting a little about who should be the first to play in their 50-50 stadium. The Jets requested a coin toss for who plays first. The NFL offices flipped a coin and the Giants won. Now Woody Johnson is not happy after what he requested was done just because he lost and a rep from his team wasn't there. so basically, he thinks Goodell is a lying and no coin toss took place, which is a slap in the face of the commissioner's office. Woody needs to just stfu.

"An NFL coin toss has a few fundamental elements that are missing here, most notably the presence of the teams involved," said Johnson, whom once source described as "outraged" by the procedure. "That's how it's always done in the league, whether it's determining the order of the draft or deciding who's going to kick off the game."

What makes the situation even nuttier is that Johnson claimed he was the one who actually suggested the coin toss, but that the league originally rejected the idea. He said it was "the fairest way to resolve the issue." Much to his surprise, he was informed on Friday that a coin flip had occurred at the league office, and that the Jets had lost.

Johnson wasn't buying it.

"We rejected a process in which neither team was present," he said. "The league departed from our time-honored tradition and declined the opportunity to set the matter straight with a transparent process."

I kinda agree with him . Both teams should have been notified of the coin flip so they could have reps there . I really don't care who plays there 1st. from what i heard 1 team will play sunday the other on monday. I'm much rather have the monday night game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giants are not scheduled to play the AFC East this year so that is not an option.

Plus there would be seating issues, and it would still would have to count as a "home game" for one of the teams. You can only have 8 home, and 8 away games.
As far as seating issues with splitting the seat, it wouldnt work. If the place is more or less completly sold out for season tickets by both teams. There wouldnt be enough places to sit. If they want to make the Jets happy, give them the first pre-season game there.

Plus there would be seating issues, and it would still would have to count as a "home game" for one of the teams. You can only have 8 home, and 8 away games.
As far as seating issues with splitting the seat, it wouldnt work. If the place is more or less completly sold out for season tickets by both teams. There wouldnt be enough places to sit. If they want to make the Jets happy, give them the first pre-season game there.
They have the first preseason game and the Monday night game on the first weekend of the season the day after the Giants open the regular season there. Stupid argument.

Why not play each other.......? Split the crowd. Good time to be had by all.

see this is something i agree with, especially since they are doing games out of the country now...i know they set up the schedule in advance and all to make scheduling/strength of schedule similar for teams within a division, but this would be an easy solve to not have a team 'lose' a home game

the ticket problem i understand as well, but why not just do a lottery like they do for the overseas crap?...makes sense right?

see this is something i agree with, especially since they are doing games out of the country now...i know they set up the schedule in advance and all to make scheduling/strength of schedule similar for teams within a division, but this would be an easy solve to not have a team 'lose' a home game

the ticket problem i understand as well, but why not just do a lottery like they do for the overseas crap?...makes sense right?

That's why it won't be done ...

I would be pissed if I only had 7 home games so they could "share" the opener. I think one playing Sunday and one Monday Night of opening weekend and the team playing Monday night gets to open the preseason as well. If the Giants lost the toss I would've been just as happy going to Monday night game. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal.

Back