Jeter's hits single in last at bat... wins game... what?

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
All I can say is... BULL!

Seriously... disappointed that the game ended up like it did.

I told the wife at the top of the 9th what was going to happen... and that Jeter would hit a game winning single in the bottom of the 9th ...

Wanted to see the "big send off"... but what I saw was truly bull.

All I can say is... BULL!

Seriously... disappointed that the game ended up like it did.

I told the wife at the top of the 9th what was going to happen... and that Jeter would hit a game winning single in the bottom of the 9th ...

Wanted to see the "big send off"... but what I saw was truly bull.
Whats wrong with what happened? It seemed the perfect way to end his Yankee Stadium career.

Feeling better this morning over last nights Yankee's win.

Congrats Captain... that is truly a great way to go out!

I am a life long Yankee fan. This is an accomplishment because from the time I was 3 years old to the time I was 21 they won exactly 0 world series. I am a huge fan of Jeter. Next to Mattingly he is my favorite player. That said, I was still very uncomfortable with the farewell tour, especially as the Yankees fell out contention. I expected him to quietly bow out and the end of a year, not make a grand spectacle of himself like he did. In the end I guess the Yankees, Nike, Gatorade, etc. had more to say about than he did. The "memorial" patch was especially creepy to me.

As for his final home game. The only thing that bothers me is that with one out in the ninth and a man on second, I think the conventional play is to walk the batter and play for a double play. My guess is that Showalter did not want the "walking" of Jeter to be a distraction for his team going forward.

I don't want to give the impression that I am bashing Jeter or the Yankees because all in all they handled the spectacle in the classiest way possible. I am just in a sad mood today because he was the last Yankee actually older than me which means I am getting older. The other frustration is that the Yankees don't appear to be re-tooling for the future very well.

The only thing that bothers me is that with one out in the ninth and a man on second, I think the conventional play is to walk the batter and play for a double play. My guess is that Showalter did not want the "walking" of Jeter to be a distraction for his team going forward.
I completely agree. I would have walked him...and I was thinking that when he came up to bat. I know it would have been very unpopular, but it was the right baseball move...and that game had meaning for Baltimore.

I think, if the objective were to actually win the game (say it somehow affected the Orioles chance at the division title, if they lost), then Buck would likely have pitched Jeter hard down and in or hard high and away... not hanging a soft curve over the outer half of the plate. The catcher is even set up on the inside of the outer half of the plate.

86 mph pitch right into the heart of where Jeter looks for pitches to drive to right. Jeter said at some point near the end of the season that the reason he had the farewell tour instead of just retiring was that it would have been an even larger distraction if he didn't make the announcement.

I don't see how.

Jeter being grooved pitches by Wainwright in the ASG, essentially handing home-field to the AL in the WS.

Jeter being tossed warm-up pitches for his last two weeks.

Jeter having ridiculous ceremonies, including a semi-memorial patch.

None of those things would have happened if he didn't announce he was retiring PRIOR TO SPRING TRAINING. If his desire was to leave the game without being a distraction, that could have been done next February... or last October.

No, instead, Jeter wanted to force his legacy into the minds of all of baseball and not just Yankee fans. Instead of going out with Rivera (thereby limiting the circus to a single season), Jeter wanted his own party. He wanted to show the world that he meant so much more to baseball than Mo did. The result:

Instead of one season of a media circus, we got two. Jeter didn't want to be remembered as the irrelevant old guy on a team that was out of contention by mid-Sept 2013. So instead, he gave an encore presentation in 2014, with the Yankees again being out of contention with two weeks to go in the season.

I hope, though I can't say with much faith, that MLB stops this ridiculous sequence of year-long retirement parties. David Ortiz will likely expect similar treatment when he retires, since he was the best player on the rival team of Jeter's squads. He *shouldn't* get it, but I can't say he won't.

What made 2013's going away party for Rivera was partially that it was "neat" to see what teams would do (like the broken bats chair & gold plated Enter Sandman record) to reflect on his career. The gifts were personal and not necessarily extravagant.

Then there's Jeter...

Teams tried to one-up each other... and they couldn't *just* give Jeter $2,000 or $2,222 donations... no... they had to up the ante. Whereby the largest Rivera donation was $10,042 from the As... even the Rays ponied up $16,000 for Jeter. Selig made up a lifetime achievement award for Jeter. Things like that irk me. Jeter wasn't the greatest player of all time. He wasn't the greatest player of *his* time. He wasn't the greatest Yankee/shortstop/righty of all time... Heck, he wasn't even the best Yankee shortstop on the roster, since ARod joined the team.

Like anything else...it's all about money. Having a season long Jeter-fest filled the stands and generated more revenue. That's why they did it. Yes, it was annoying but it was smart business. I'm not really a Jeter fan...yes he was a good player and had a very career. But, I do see the business sense in what they did.

You are right. He's not the greatest short stop, he's not the greatest Yankee. But, he was a great Yankee. One thing I love about baseball is all the stats and how you can analyze it by the numbers unlike any other sport. If you look at the Wins Above Replacement (WAR) for Yankee players...Jeter ranks 5th in team history (behind Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle and DiMaggio).

As for not being the best short stop on the team...I disagree. Jeter was a better defensive player than A-Rod. Moving A-Rod to 3B made sense.

As for not being the best short stop on the team...I disagree. Jeter was a better defensive player than A-Rod. Moving A-Rod to 3B made sense.

I agree that moving ARod to third made sense, but it wasn't because Jeter was the better SS.

ARod (SS) > Jeter (SS)
ARod (3B) >>> Jeter (3B)
Arod (SS) + Jeter (3B) << ARod (3B) + Jeter (SS)

Jeter has always had ZERO range to his left, and 3B is all about range to the left. Jeter's jump throw turns a routine play into something that looks like a highlight. He might have been the glitziest SS on the Yankees, but he certainly wasn't the best.

Jeter is a year older than ARod, but they both had their first full MLB seasons in 1996.

Jeter (1996): ROY; .969 Fld %age, 4.52 RF/9
ARod (1996): Second in MVP; ineligible for ROY due to the Mariners bringing him up in 1994; .977 Fld %age, 4.56 RF/9

Jeter (1997): .975 Fld %age, 4.45 RF/9
ARod (1997): .962 Fld %age, 4.40 RF/9

Jeter (1998): Third in MVP; .986 Fld %age, 4.25 RF/9
ARod (1998): .975 Fld %age, 4.62 RF/9

Jeter (1999): .978 Fld %age, 4.00 RF/9
ARod (1999): .977 Fld %age, 4.80 RF/9

Jeter (2000): .961 Fld %age, 4.12 RF/9
ARod (2000): Third in MVP; .986 Fld %age, 4.77 RF/9

Jeter (2001): .974 Fld %age, 3.81 RF/9
ARod (2001): .976 Fld %age, 4.72 RF/9

Jeter (2002): .977 Fld %age, 3.81 RF/9
ARod (2002): Second in MVP; .987 Fld %age, 4.73 RF/9

Jeter (2003): .968 Fld %age, 3.74 RF/9
ARod (2003): MVP; .989 Fld %age, 4.54 RF/9

Those are the first eight full seasons of their careers with each at SS. 1997 was the only year where Jeter was the better SS, and it was marginal, at best. Many would have called that season a wash between the two, defensively.

1998 might be considered a wash, but most who care about defense would give the nod to ARod, due to the seven-percent difference in range. After 1998, there is no season where Jeter is even close to ARod in terms of defense.

Back