Racing Earnhardt teams up with Eury Jr. in Nationwide

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Tony Eury Jr. and Dale Earnhardt Jr. have been reunited -- sort of.

JR Motorsports announced on Thursday that Eury, who in June was replaced as Earnhardt's crew chief in the Sprint Cup series, was named crew chief for the No. 5 Nationwide Series car co-owned by NASCAR's most popular driver.

Eury will replace Brian Campe, who mutually agreed to be released from his contract. His first race will be Saturday at Memphis Motorsports Park with Richard Boswell as the driver.

Earnhardt recently said he wanted to hire Eury for the Nationwide Series team that he drives for on a part-time basis. He wanted this in part so Eury would be reunited with his father, Tony Eury Sr., who is the crew chief for the No. 88 Nationwide car.

He also felt he let his cousin and long-time friend down in the Cup series and wanted to give him another chance.

Earnhardt is hoping to field the No. 5 car full time next season if sponsorship is found. Kelly Bires recently was signed to replace Brad Keselowski in the No. 88 next year.

Among those Earnhardt has talked to about the No. 5 is IndyCar Series star Danica Patrick, who if signed likely would drive eight races.

"I feel like if I can put Tony Jr. over that group, he can guide them in the right direction and help those guys sort of understand some of the things they can do better," Earnhardt said last month. "Also, we have to develop the [new car] for that series, and Tony Jr. can be a big help there. I'm excited about bringing him in and him being a part of that company for a long time.

"Anybody that drives the 5 car next year, driver-wise, would have to be excited about that as well."

Back