Renteria signs 2 year deal with Giants

sffanmike25

Bench Warmer
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3744796

Overpaid for a stop-gap Shortstop @ 9M+ per. He's worth probably 2-3M less annually. I guess his NL/AL splits will be the big indicator of how this one turns out. He has a pretty good track record in the NL.

Was thinking Sabean had a decent run of signings in Affeldt and Howry, but he must have got impatient with the checkbook knowing he was going to get outbid on Furcal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3744796

Overpaid for a stop-gap Shortstop @ 9M+ per. He's worth probably 2-3M less annually. I guess his NL/AL splits will be the big indicator of how this one turns out. He has a pretty good track record in the NL.

Was thinking Sabean had a decent run of signings in Affeldt and Howry, but he must have got impatient with the checkbook knowing he was going to get outbid on Furcal.
I don't think they were serious about Furcal. I really can't see any team offering him four years guaranteed. That probably scared the Giants away.

This isn't the worst signing. They could have nabbed Orlando Cabrera and given up a draft pick. :lollol:

Also heard they're talking with the Marlins about a Jonathan Sanchez/Jorge Cantu swap. I really hope that one goes down. :pray:

I don't think they were serious about Furcal. I really can't see any team offering him four years guaranteed. That probably scared the Giants away.

This isn't the worst signing. They could have nabbed Orlando Cabrera and given up a draft pick. :lollol:

Also heard they're talking with the Marlins about a Jonathan Sanchez/Jorge Cantu swap. I really hope that one goes down. :pray:

Sabean loves to entertain 2-3 boneheaded trades an off-season. Well, at least that is what makes it to the media each winter. Lord knows how many others he's almost taken the bait on.

That being said, the concept of getting a solid power bat for Sanchez isn't bad. But with the volatility in career numbers of Cantu, it's the wrong guy to trade for when pitching carries such a premium in the market.

Sabean loves to entertain 2-3 boneheaded trades an off-season. Well, at least that is what makes it to the media each winter. Lord knows how many others he's almost taken the bait on.
Kind of like the Rios for Cain or Lincecum rumors last year? Not that Rios isn't good, but Cain and, especially Lincecum, are worth more than Rios.

That being said, the concept of getting a solid power bat for Sanchez isn't bad. But with the volatility in career numbers of Cantu, it's the wrong guy to trade for when pitching carries such a premium in the market.
Exactly.

You know, you're pretty smart for a Giant fan. :D

Wait a second, you were happy they signed Howry? Why, so Zito wouldn't look AS bad?

2 reasons:

1) He's not Tyler Walker (the stats alone don't show the anti-clutch that he is)

2) It's a decent gamble, and a veteran arm to go along with the otherwise young bullpen.

Back