Experience with eBay Seller

Discussion in 'Sports Card Chat' started by CamaroDMD, Sep 1, 2014.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD Moderator Moderator

It's not often that we talk about positive experiences with sellers on eBay. I think when I have a really good experience, I should tell people about it because it's important for us to know who good sellers are and that they are out there.

Several days ago I stumbled upon a card on my "wish list" on eBay. It was a 1959 Topps Roger Maris...I had been wanting a nice example of this card for some time and was waiting for the right one at the right price. Well, I spotted one for sale BIN/BO for $74 +$2.50 shipping...a little more than I wanted to pay but a beautifully centered example with good color and PSA graded 5.5.

Well, I have about $65 cash rewards sitting on my credit card that I use for online purchasing...and I figured I could use those and get this card close to free. I offered $60 for the card (hoping I could get it for $62.50...which would be basically free). Well...auto-declined. I tried BO of $65 and got the same result.

At this point, I knew I only had one more BO opportunity and I didn't want to lose it. So, I decided to PM the seller. I told him it was a card I had been looking for for some time and I was a stickler for centering. I asked him what his best price was. He sent me an offer for $71 with free shipping. I thought that was more than a fair price and gladly took it. With my cash rewards on my credit card...it will cost me about $6.

I sent him a thank you note for working with me and got a very nice reply. I don't have the card in hand, but I have had a very positive experience with this seller. I have no doubt the card will arrive safely.

The seller is: wastenot-wantnot2010

Peter T Davis and racinghy like this.
  2. ranbethscards

ranbethscards Insane Moderator... waiting for NASCAR Products Moderator

The fact that you didn't low ball him with an insulting offer helped in the process.

Many times I have received offers that are 20% or less of my asking price and then they will ask me my best price. I usually do not answer those buyers. I figure if I am asking $80, and they offer $40 on a $200 card, then surely they are not serious buyers and not worth the reply.

Congrats... looking forward to seeing the scan when you get the card in hand!

3. CamaroDMD

Honestly, I think $71 is on the higher side of the spectrum for this card. My initial $60 offer was probably a low-mid average. I didn't want to go any lower than that. If I see a card I want and it's within my price range I will try and haggle the seller down a bit (if BO is offered)...but I never want to insult a seller. On those rare occasions when I send a PM asking for a best price...I try and do it very politely. If they come back higher than I want to pay, I reply to them and thank them for their time and tell them I'm going to pass. I think being polite, friendly and trying to not insult them with an offer (and sometimes people can get insulted when you try and knock 5% off)...things work out.

As for this card, I did my homework on it as I have wanted one for quite some time. Here is what I was going on using eBay sold sales to get a price range:

PSA4: $22-$39
    PSA5: $37-$60
    PSA6: $51-$78

Note, these numbers don't factor in shipping cost.

So, by paying $71 (shipped)...he was charging $2.50 for shipping, so the actual "card" cost was $68.50.

So, I paid a mid PSA6 price for a card graded 5.5. Based on my PSA5 and 6 pricing, I think the price I paid is quite fair for a card graded 5.5. Might be a little on the high side of the price spectrum...but with the eye appeal, I think it's worth it. The centering and color are superb on this example which to me makes it worth a premium.

ranbethscards likes this.
  4. CamaroDMD

When the card arrives...I will post a scan of it in my Vintage PC thread.

5. CamaroDMD

The card came today and I added it to my Vintage PC thread. But, I will post the photo here too as this thread is specific to this card:

[​IMG]

6. ranbethscards

ranbethscards Insane Moderator... waiting for NASCAR Products Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted