Football Giants' Rouse to replace Brown at safety

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Riding a three-game losing streak, the New York Giants decided Friday to insert Aaron Rouse into the starting lineup at safety for Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers.

Rouse will replace beleaguered veteran C.C. Brown, who has been beaten twice on deep passes for touchdowns during the losing streak.

Brown missed a defensive audible in last Sunday's 40-17 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, allowing DeSean Jackson to score on a 54-yard pass play late in the first half.

"This is the NFL, pressure comes week in and week out," Rouse said. "As a team and as a member of this team, everybody has to be prepared to play whether you are a starter or not. We look at it as if you are first- or second-string you are going to be a starter because it only takes one play for you to come up in that starting 11. Regardless whether or not I was starting this week, that is how I practice. I'm looking forward to the opportunity."

In making the switch, coach Tom Coughlin said Rouse plays the ball better in the air than Brown, so he will be paired with Michael Johnson.

"We have three guys, they all play a lot," Coughlin said. "The third safety played 26 snaps the other day. So we are just going to try to maneuver around a little bit and defend the deep ball better, that's all."

Rouse was awarded to the Giants on waivers in September after Kenny Phillips was lost with a season-ending knee injury that required surgery.

Rouse was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the third round in 2007. He played in 27 games with 11 starts before being waived in September.

The highlight of Rouse's Green Bay career was a 99-yard interception return for a touchdown in 2008 against Peyton Manning. It was the longest interception return in Lambeau Field history.

Coughlin said defensive tackle Chris Canty and linebacker Michael Boley took 50 percent of the snaps Friday and will be listed as questionable for Sunday's game. Canty has been sidelined since the opening game of the season with a calf injury and Boley had surgery on his right knee a month ago.

Back