Basketball Gordon says Bulls never made him an offer

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Ben Gordon said the Chicago Bulls did not make him an offer, despite general manager Gar Forman saying recently that re-signing Gordon was the team's goal.

Gordon visited the Detroit Pistons on Wednesday -- the first full day of NBA free agency -- and committed to a five-year deal for between $55 million and $60 million, sources told ESPN.com. Contracts can't be signed until July 8.

During an interview on ESPN 1000's "Waddle & Silvy" show, Gordon was asked how aggressively the Bulls pursued him.

"I mean, they didn't pursue me at all," Gordon said. "They didn't even make an offer, so it was pretty much a one-man race."

Gordon was reminded that the Bulls said re-signing him was a priority.

"It is what it is," he said. "Like I just told you, there was no offer made. So you guys can put it together. I'm happy about my new situation now. I'm looking forward to it."

When he was introduced as the team's GM on May 21, Forman spoke about Gordon.

"We like Ben," Forman said at the time. "He's our kind of guy. He's got great makeup and character, a great work ethic. Our goal is to re-sign Ben Gordon. In the conversations we've had, I think Ben wants to stay here in Chicago."

Gordon said he felt love from Bulls fans, but he wasn't sure how he was viewed by the organization.

"The fans that follow the game, I always felt I got a lot of love and respect," he said. "When I was walking down the street, people always showed me love. I really enjoyed that. If you were messing up, they told you. And if you were doing a good job, they told you. Coming from New York, I could really appreciate that.

"As far as the organization giving me my respect, I really don't know what they thought of me. When you go through the negotiations I've gone through, the writing is kind of on the wall."

Gordon reportedly rejected $50 million offers from the Bulls the last two summers. Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said Gordon's agent Raymond Brothers wanted to accept the five-year, $50 million offer last summer after initially rejecting it, but the Bulls decided it was too late and took the offer off the table.

Back