Post-Combine Mock 3/2

DNoz29

Bench Warmer
1. Detroit - OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- Smith separated himself from the rest of the pack at the combine. He's the most athletic of the tackles and should be the cornerstone the Lions need on their offensive line.
2. St. Louis - MLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- The Rams need Curry. He is the play-making, run-stopping MLB the Rams have lacked for quite some time. If Detroit doesn't take him at No. 1, there's no way they can pass on him.
3. Kansas City - DT B.J. Raji, Boston College
- With the recent acquisition of Matt Cassel, it takes the Chiefs out of the QB market. Also by acquiring Vrabel, it confirms the Chiefs are going to a 3-4 defense. Raji is the best NT prospect in the draft, which is something the Chiefs don't have in their current personnel.
4. Seattle - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- Even after signing Houshmandzadeh, the Seahawks could still go with Crabtree at No. 4. However, it makes them even more likely to go with an eventual replacement for Walter Jones.
5. Cleveland - DE/OLB Brian Orakpo, Texas
- The Browns need help in the pass-rushing department, and Orakpo might be the best pass-rusher in this draft. I think he could be better as a 4-3 DE, but he could pull off the 3-4 OLB job.
6. Cincinnati - OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Oher, once thought of as the No. 1 pick, has the most potential of any OT in this draft. He could start from day one on either side of the line.
7. Oakland - WR Michael Crabtree*, Texas Tech
- Despite the injury concerns, there is absolutely no way Al Davis passes on Crabtree. And by the way, WR is a need for Oakland.
8. Jacksonville - QB Matt Stafford*, Georgia
- The first surprise pick, the Jags grab Stafford, who many are mocking to go No. 1. David Garrard didn't exactly impress last season after signing his big deal and the Jags might not be able to pass up the best QB prospect in this draft.
9. Green Bay - DE/OLB Aaron Maybin*, Penn St.
- Loads of potential here, Maybin seems to be the prototypical 3-4 OLB in this draft. The Pack need that speed rusher while converting to a 3-4 defense.
10. San Francisco - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
- Surprise pick No. 2. Heyward-Bey had an outstanding combine and the Niners need a talented WR in the worst way. I know they're going to be a run-first team, but they'll need someone who can get behind the defense to open up the field.
11. Buffalo - DE Everette Brown*, Florida St.
- The Bills need a TE, but there's no TE worthy of this pick. Instead, they grab one o the premier pass-rushers in this draft. Brown has all the skills to succeed in the NFL.
12. Denver - CB/S Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St.
- A poor combine caused Jenkins to fall and many to question whether or not he could be a starting NFL cornerback. Denver is willing to take a chance on him, as he still has lots of talent.
13. Washington - OT Andre Smith*, Alabama
- Speaking of poor combines, Smith made one of poorest decisions anyone has ever made at the combine. Despite that fact, the Redskins take a chance on him, as they have a massive void at RT.
14. New Orleans - CB Vonte Davis, Illinois
- After failing to land a CB in free agency, the Saints take the best pure CB in this draft. Davis has good size and should help the New Orleans' secondary.
15. Houston - WR Jeremy Maclin*, Missouri
- Maclin, like Crabtree and Heyward-Bey, has loads of talent. He is exactly what the Houston passing game needs.
16. San Diego - MLB Rey Maualuga, USC
- He injured his hamstring at the combine, but the Chargers still need help at linebacker. Maualuga is the best 3-4 ILB in the draft and should thrive in San Diego's defense.
17. N.Y. Jets - QB Mark Sanchez*, USC
- The Jets cannot pass on their QB of the future. Sanchez could still go a lot higher than this, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he falls to No. 17.
18. Chicago - DE Michael Johnson*, Georgia Tech
- Johnson is as physically gifted as they come, and the Bears and Lovie Smith are drooling over the possibilities.
19. Tampa Bay - DT Peria Jerry, Ole Miss
- With Sanchez off the board and TB signing Derrick Ward, the Bucs fill a need on the interior defensive line. Jerry is the second-best DT in the draft.
20. Detroit (from DAL) - QB Josh Freeman*, Kansas St.
After passing on Stafford and Sanchez at No. 1 and trading Jon Kitna to Dallas, the Lions target Freeman as their QB of the future. He is raw, but so is the rest of the Detroit roster. And throwing to Calvin Johnson won't hurt Freeman's chances of success.
21. Philadelphia - OT Eben Britton*, Arizona
- William Thomas is a free agent and Jon Runyan is coming off surgery -- Philly needs a tackle. Britton is the fifth tackle to go in the first, as the position is deep.
22. Minnesota - CB D.J. Moore*, Vanderbilt
- While not many CBs impressed at the combine, the Vikings are still inclined to upgrade their secondary. Moore is one of the better CBs available.
23. New England - ILB Brian Cushing, USC
- Cushing is versatile, which is the staple of the Patriots. They need to get young at LB in a hurry. Cushing would play ILB in the Pats' defense.
24. Atlanta - TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St.
- This is the surest pick of the 1st round. The Falcons need a guy to replace Alge Crumpler and while Pettigrew didn't have a great combine, he is still the guy for the Falcons.
25. Miami - WR Hakeem Nicks*, North Carolina
- With Ted Ginn, the Fins need a big WR they can turn to for a clutch reception. Hicks has the best hands in the draft and should fit in well with the Dolphins.
26. Baltimore - C Alex Mack, California
- After losing Jason Brown to the Rams, the Ravens grab the best center prospect in quite some time.
27. Indianapolis - WR Percy Harvin, Florida
- After losing Marvin Harrison, the Colts need to replenish their WR corp. Harvin is the most versatile WR in the draft and Peyton Manning could have some fun with that.
28. Philadelphia (from CAR) - RB Chris Wells*, Ohio St.
- After grabbing the OT they so desperately needed, the Eagles turn to the ground game. Wells should be the bruising RB the Eagles need to complement Brian Westbrook.
29. N.Y. Giants - MLB James Laurinaitis, Ohio St.
- The Giants have a stacked D-Line. Plugging in Laurinaitis behind the front four could have excellent results.
30. Tennessee - CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
- The Titans grabbed Nate Washington in free agency, so they decide to help the secondary. With Pro Bowlers Cortland Finnegan and Michael Griffin, Smith would be a nice addition and could learn from these guys.
31. Arizona - RB Knowshon Moreno*, Georgia
- With Alex Mack off the board, Moreno is undoubtedly the pick here (or another RB). He weighed in a little heavier than expected at the combine, which probably contributed to his slower-than-expected 40-time. However, he is immensely talented and should help the non-existent Cardinal running game.
32. Pittsburgh - DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
- Pittsburgh can do whatever it chooses with this pick. It can take the BPA or fill a need. Luckily, it kills two birds with one stone.

3. Kansas City - DT B.J. Raji, Boston College

- With the recent acquisition of Matt Cassel, it takes the Chiefs out of the QB market. Also by acquiring Vrabel, it confirms the Chiefs are going to a 3-4 defense. Raji is the best NT prospect in the draft, which is something the Chiefs don't have in their current personnel.

I highly doubt this....just my opinion....but they used their #1 pick on a DT last year....Glenn Dorsey.....and grabbing Vrabel doesn't necessarily mean they are going with a 3-4.....I know there are rumors of them going to a 3-4......I mean rumor has it, everyone and their mother is switching to a 3-4......just don't think they take Raji here...LB or OL maybe.....I think switching to a 3-4 is a huge mistake on their part if the rumors are true.....they have their QB....trade back to the middle of the 1st and get a 2nd rounder back....they can still get a good LB....Laurinaitis (MLB), Maualuga (ILB....pretty much a MLB)......Cushing (can play opposite side of Vrabel).....and then in the second they can grab Fili Moala (probably the 2nd best DT/NT in the draft next to Raji and he falls to the second round on every mock I've seen)......not trying to sound like I'm an expert or anything....but Dorsey last year + Raji this year= unlikely.....IMO.

*looks draft over*

You still have Michael Johnson too high and Tyson Jackson too low. Jackson is the more valuable player, just underappreciated due to his ability to stop the run vs. the flashy sack numbers of others. Don't get Chris Henry'd or Mamula'd here with measurables and speed, it's certainly possible that's all Johnson is. ;)

The 49ers' need at WR isn't top 10 worthy. Only way WR is even contemplated is if Warner is signed. But that is still a big "if." I don't even know if Jimmy Ray (the 49ers OC) even has pass plays yet. Everette Brown would be my pick instead.

Where is Larry English?

I'd go D for Indy. Even with Harvin being a trendy pick and Marvin having left. Just my opinion though. If they want to get back to the title game, they need to hit on a defensive pick to supplement their current team.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, move McCoy up to the 1st round. Him not running at the combine was a big time boost to his stock. His handlers are geniuses.

Overall, good work, especially with making a mock that wasn't a predictable "Stafford at #1"

:salut:

I highly doubt this....just my opinion....but they used their #1 pick on a DT last year....Glenn Dorsey.....and grabbing Vrabel doesn't necessarily mean they are going with a 3-4.....I know there are rumors of them going to a 3-4......I mean rumor has it, everyone and their mother is switching to a 3-4......just don't think they take Raji here...LB or OL maybe.....I think switching to a 3-4 is a huge mistake on their part if the rumors are true.....they have their QB....trade back to the middle of the 1st and get a 2nd rounder back....they can still get a good LB....Laurinaitis (MLB), Maualuga (ILB....pretty much a MLB)......Cushing (can play opposite side of Vrabel).....and then in the second they can grab Fili Moala (probably the 2nd best DT/NT in the draft next to Raji and he falls to the second round on every mock I've seen)......not trying to sound like I'm an expert or anything....but Dorsey last year + Raji this year= unlikely.....IMO.
1. Mike Vrabel is only effective in a 3-4. He cannot thrive in a 4-3 defense.

2. Glenn Dorsey is too small to play NT in a 3-4. He could try to play 3-4 DE, but that would be a stretch. The fact is, KC doesn't have the correct personnel to run a 3-4 effectively this year. Dorsey was drafted by Carl Peterson while Herm Edwards was head coach, a man who runs a 4-3, a defense in which Dorsey could dominate.

3. http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/what-will-move-to-3-4-mean-to-chiefs-dorsey -- It definitely isn't a rumor.

4. Raji is exactly what the Chiefs need if they want the 3-4 defense to have a chance of working this season. They don't have a defensive lineman who weighs over 315 lbs. (Ron Edwards... not an impact player). Raji, on the other hand, is an impact player. It all starts up front on both sides of the ball, and KC needs that big NT. Think of Raji as KC's Vince Wilfork.

5. Trading back isn't as easy as it sounds. There has to be a reason for teams to move up to No. 3. If Crabtree was 100 percent, he could have been that reason.

You still have Michael Johnson too high and Tyson Jackson too low. Jackson is the more valuable player, just underappreciated due to his ability to stop the run vs. the flashy sack numbers of others. Don't get Chris Henry'd or Mamula'd here with measurables and speed, it's certainly possible that's all Johnson is. ;)
You know how it is. Teams draft a lot on potential, which is exactly what Johnson is.

The 49ers' need at WR isn't top 10 worthy. Only way WR is even contemplated is if Warner is signed. But that is still a big "if." I don't even know if Jimmy Ray (the 49ers OC) even has pass plays yet. Everette Brown would be my pick instead.
I knew you wouldn't like it. Honestly, it probably won't happen. I was just fudging around with the idea. ;)

Where is Larry English?
No. 38... he could definitely crack the first round, though.

I'd go D for Indy. Even with Harvin being a trendy pick and Marvin having left. Just my opinion though. If they want to get back to the title game, they need to hit on a defensive pick to supplement their current team.
They need a DT. However, DT isn't exactly overflowing with talent. I remedy that in the second round.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, move McCoy up to the 1st round. Him not running at the combine was a big time boost to his stock. His handlers are geniuses.
Wha? Not sure who else could use a RB in the first. It's a deep position and there will be a run on RBs in the second.

Overall, good work, especially with making a mock that wasn't a predictable "Stafford at #1"
Thanks. :)

Now where's yours? :ban:

;)

1. Mike Vrabel is only effective in a 3-4. He cannot thrive in a 4-3 defense.

2. Glenn Dorsey is too small to play NT in a 3-4. He could try to play 3-4 DE, but that would be a stretch. The fact is, KC doesn't have the correct personnel to run a 3-4 effectively this year. Dorsey was drafted by Carl Peterson while Herm Edwards was head coach, a man who runs a 4-3, a defense in which Dorsey could dominate.

3. http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/what-will-move-to-3-4-mean-to-chiefs-dorsey -- It definitely isn't a rumor.

4. Raji is exactly what the Chiefs need if they want the 3-4 defense to have a chance of working this season. They don't have a defensive lineman who weighs over 315 lbs. (Ron Edwards... not an impact player). Raji, on the other hand, is an impact player. It all starts up front on both sides of the ball, and KC needs that big NT. Think of Raji as KC's Vince Wilfork.

5. Trading back isn't as easy as it sounds. There has to be a reason for teams to move up to No. 3. If Crabtree was 100 percent, he could have been that reason.

I see what you are saying....but 2 DT's with back to back Top 10 picks just don't make sense money wise (too me).....unless they move Dorsey, they will be paying him to sit on the bench or paying him while they are praying that he could be a great 3-4 DE.....I still think they have a couple of reasons to trade back too....Bradford and Sanchez (if the Lions don't take either).....someone like the Jets may want to trade up to pick the better of the 2 if the Lions fix their QB situation via free agency.....either way......I just like giving my opinion and hearing the opinions of others on here:salut:....we could both be way off and they could pull an Al Davis and draft a Kicker:doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I see what you are saying....but 2 DT's with back to back Top 10 picks just don't make sense money wise (too me).....unless they move Dorsey, they will be paying him to sit on the bench or paying him while they are praying that he could be a great 3-4 DE.....I still think they have a couple of reasons to trade back too....Bradford and Sanchez (if the Lions don't take either).....someone like the Jets may want to trade up to pick the better of the 2 if the Lions fix their QB situation via free agency.....either way......I just like giving my opinion and hearing the opinions of others on hear:salut:....we could both be way off and they could pull an Al Davis and draft a Kicker:doh:
Depends what the cap hit would be if they trade Dorsey. I don't think he'd do much in a 3-4.

Outside of Jacksonville or San Francisco, there's no team in the top 16 who could legitimately draft a QB. Unless a team trades up from the lower half of the first (Minnesota?), Sanchez or Stafford will be around when the Jets' pick rolls around.

The funny thing is, I wanted the Rams to take Janakowski in 2000. I'm glad they didn't, but they didn't get anyone worth a damn with their pick (Trung Canidate). And Jeff Wilkins got a lot better after the 1999 season.

Depends what the cap hit would be if they trade Dorsey. I don't think he'd do much in a 3-4.

Outside of Jacksonville or San Francisco, there's no team in the top 16 who could legitimately draft a QB. Unless a team trades up from the lower half of the first (Minnesota?), Sanchez or Stafford will be around when the Jets' pick rolls around.

The funny thing is, I wanted the Rams to take Janakowski in 2000. I'm glad they didn't, but they didn't get anyone worth a damn with their pick (Trung Canidate). And Jeff Wilkins got a lot better after the 1999 season.

I don't know....some 'hawk fans are talking Sanchez at #4 in another thread;)...if the 'hawks state interest in drafting a QB prior to the draft....that might be the move right there.

Back