I Made a eBay Mistake

Discussion in 'Sports Card Chat' started by CamaroDMD, Jan 24, 2018.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD Insert Cool Title Moderator

Well, I made a mistake on eBay and to be honest...I feel bad about it. I wanted to share it because many of us have sold on eBay and had the buyer do bad things. This is the first time I have been on the other side.

So, a little backstory first.

Recently I picked up an auto of an older Oregon QB and I decided I like it. He never made it in the NFL (I think he's in the CFL today)...but it was a cool card with a lot of different parallel versions. I have never attempted a "rainbow" set so I thought I would give it a try.

So, I did a little eBay searching and I found a few of the parallels and I picked them up. I think I got the /99 for like $2 and I could of the more common cards for about the same. I have 3 of them and have probably $10 totally invested.

Anyway, I did a completed listings search for the card on eBay looking for cards that didn't sell. I found the /49 but the guy wanted like $10 for it plus like $4 shipping. Seemed a little steep but I thought I'd message him and see if he still had it. I thought I would splurge and pick it up.

The card had been listed a few times but never sold...which is not surprising because it was over priced.

So, I decided to send the seller a message and ask if he still had it because if he did I was interested. He responded that he did and would relist it. Which he did.

So, I went to it to purchase it when I made a discovery...he had listed it as a "non-auto." When I searched completed listings for "auto" it came up and I didn't look closely enough at the old listing before I messaged him. When I saw it come up under my search and saw the price (which was high for the auto)...I just didn't look closely enough.

Well, I felt bad because it was my error. I sent him a message letting him know that I had mis-read his ad. I apologized and told him that I was looking for an auto version and that I was not interested in the non-auto cards. Of course he sent me back an angry message...but that's OK.

I still felt bad because I was the one that reached out to him.

Peter T Davis likes this.
  2. Taliasen

Taliasen Collecting Rickey Henderson and Sean Casey. Moderator

Honest mistake. and lets face it. You know he listed it with "non-auto" in the title just to get the hits and traffic of people looking for the auto.

3. ranbethscards

ranbethscards NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah! Moderator

the eBay sellers are getting really sneaky with their listings... people searching for the TRUE 1 of 1 cards have to search through a plethora of "eBay 1 of 1" (i.e., NASCAR Car Number - #24/XX for Gordon, Football Jersey Number - #9/XX for Stafford)... until they find the TRUE 1 of 1.

I even had problems back many years ago when I was a collector of NASCAR's Bobby Labonte... finding his brother Terry's cards listed in the title as "brother to Bobby Labonte".

Honest mistake on YOUR part... and a "let's see how many hits I get" (oh oops...)mistake on his part.

Draft saved Draft deleted