Baseball 'Sore' Longoria not expected to go on Rays' DL

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Tampa Bay third baseman Evan Longoria is not expected to go on the disabled list because of a sore left hamstring.

Longoria, who leads the AL in voting for this year's All-Star game, was hurt running out a grounder in the sixth inning of Tuesday night's 6-2 win over Kansas City. He underwent tests that included an MRI exam Wednesday.

Andrew Friedman, the team's executive vice president of baseball operations, said "the report is good" and that the Rays are "very optimistic that we can avoid a DL situation. He's a little sore. I'm confident that we will get him back soon."

Longoria is hitting .322 with 13 homers and 55 RBIs in 52 games this season.

"I just think it's going to be how I feel," Longoria said. "Going on a day-to-day basis. It feels a lot better. I woke up and it was a little sore. I think another day or two and hopefully I'll be back in there."

Longoria could play during a four-game series at the New York Yankees that begins Friday.

"It's better than we anticipated," Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon said. "It's very encouraging."

Also, Tampa Bay designated hitter Pat Burrell, out since May 11 with a neck strain, is expected to take batting practice this weekend and could start a minor league rehab assignment next week.

Rays shortstop Jason Bartlett, who has missed nine games due to a sprained left ankle, is making progress but is still experiencing soreness. He might not be ready to return when he's eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list on June 10.

Scott Kazmir threw a bullpen session and will be re-evaluated in a week. The left-hander is on the DL with a right quadriceps strain and is working on flaws in his mechanics.

"Everything felt good," Kazmir said. "I'm getting better."

Kazmir will pitch in the minors before rejoining the team.

Rays reliever Chad Bradford, rehabbing after right elbow surgery, has joined Double-A Montgomery after pitching at Class-A Charlotte.

Back