Baseball Clemens suspended five games

bhelser

Bench Warmer
NEW YORK -- Roger Clemens was suspended for five games Thursday and New York Yankees manager Joe Torre for one, the fallout from the Rocket hitting Toronto's Alex Rios with a pitch this week.

During a testy three-game series, the Blue Jays' Jesse Litsch threw behind Alex Rodriguez's legs in Monday's opener and Josh Towers hit A-Rod on his calf with a pitch in the third inning Tuesday.

The benches and bullpens emptied twice, but no punches were thrown. Clemens then hit Rios in the middle of his back in the seventh inning. Clemens and Torre immediately were ejected.

Clemens, Rodriguez and Torre were fined along with Yankees coaches Larry Bowa and Tony Pena, Toronto's Matt Stairs and Towers, and Blue Jays coach Brian Butterfield.

Toronto's anger seemed to stem from the May 30 game, when Rodriguez yelled to distract third baseman Howie Clark during a late-inning popup.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said he didn't have any thoughts on the penalties. Torre will serve his suspension Friday at Cleveland, and Clemens is likely to appeal, delaying his suspension.

Torre was suspended for one game in May after reliever Scott Proctor, then with the Yankees, threw an inside pitch to Seattle's Yuniesky Betancourt.

i just dont get why its always the team who retaliated after their guy is hit to get the big suspension.

It wouldnt have happened if the guy didnt throw at their players TWICE.

What arod did was not that bad, They are in a freaking stadium of roaring fans, they deal with noises

not to mention, if you look when Clark turns, he doesnt even turn right after the "Ha" was said, so he cant even blame it on that.

Throw at Arod once its expected, throw twice at the knee, now you are asking for trouble.

If in fact it was retaliation for A-Rod distracting Clark on that pop up, then the Blue Jays are a bunch of whinning little cry babies.

Sending messages (throwing at or behind a player) is, always has been and always will be a part of the game. But to do it for such a juvenile reason? That's moronic of the part of the Jays MGR.

But, this wouldn't be the first time John Gibbons was involved in some kind of moronic crap. He's already gotten into a shouting match with Ted Lilly and I'm sure most recall that long dragged out feud he had going with Shea Hillenbrand.

Gibbons is a huge baby, so this sort of thing does not surprise me one bit. What does surprise me is that Gibbons was not fined or suspended.

Back