Football Ricky Williams inks new deal; retiring after '10?

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Ricky Williams abruptly retired once. Now he wants to stick around the NFL a little longer, but reportedly is eyeing another exit from the NFL after the 2010 season.

Williams, who signed a one-year contract extension that will keep him with the Miami Dolphins through 2010, told The Miami Herald that he intends to retire after the contract expires.

The 32-year-old running back is scheduled to earn a base salary of $3.4 million this season and $4.35 million in 2010.

Williams told the Herald that he talked to Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells and they worked out an agreement that was "quiet and easy" -- and without an agent.

"When you have a person and an organization that follows a certain philosophy, it's just nice," Williams told the Herald. "Some organizations like players and want to take care of players. Some organizations aren't that way."

Dolphins running back Patrick Cobbs told the newspaper that he wasn't surprised that Williams negotiated a new deal without representation.

"That's Rick," Cobbs told the newspaper. "The guy does stuff nobody else does. He's smart. He knows what he wants. He's been in the game a long time, so for that stuff to happen, it doesn't surprise me.

"You've got Bill Parcells and Ricky, who have been around the game for a long time. They know about the business. He's not cheating himself. He knows what he wants, and he's going to retire here."

The 1998 Heisman Trophy winner and 2002 NFL rushing champion has rejuvenated his career, and became a solid running back alongside Ronnie Brown last season.

All that hardly seemed possible only five years ago, when Williams shocked the NFL by retiring from football. He also is a five-time offender of the league's substance-abuse policy.

Williams returned in 2007, but that stint didn't last long. He gained only 15 yards on six carries before he fumbled, was stepped on and tore his chest muscle against Pittsburgh.

Last season, Williams returned again and similarly negotiated his own contract extension, admitting he upset then-agent Leigh Steinberg.

Miami's new Parcells-led regime has been nothing but supportive of Williams.

"There's very strong feelings about Ricky and what he's done for us -- and certainly for me -- since he's been here," Dolphins coach Tony Sparano told the Herald.

"From what he brings from a work-ethic standpoint, as a pro in the meeting rooms, he's a good ambassador of our message to the younger players."

Williams told the Herald that after he retires he plans on completing his undergraduate degree before applying to medical school. He told the newspaper that he has "at least two more years" of classes to complete for his bachelor's degree after he retires.

"I just want to finish my career and move on," he told the Herald.

However, a source close to Williams told the newspaper that Williams could change his tune on retiring after the 2010 season if he has an outstanding season that could result in more financial security.

Back