Disturbing....

lumm0x

Bench Warmer
Patrick Cormier, who was the captain of the Team Canada World Junior team that recently lost to the USA in the tournament was just suspended indefinitely due to this last incident with his Quebec junior team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aplfhPu4iiU

Apparently the other player suffered some severe brain trauma and will likely never play hockey again. One of the worst parts is that Cormier was reportedly smiling as he left the ice and this is not his first run in with suspensions due to vicious hits.

Cormier is a prospect who was drafted by the New Jersey Devils. Should the league suspend him for life from this it may make him ineligible to play in the NHL.

Wow the way the shot looks didn't look that bad. But its prob just the angle i really can't see how the hit got landed . But he does need to get banned. I like hockey fights but i hate the players that do it dirty .

If Mikael Tam would have walked away from the hit with minor injuries, then Cormier's punishment would have been much less severe (obviously). However, the injuries were anything but minor. Therefore, this guy should be banned for life. The full extent of one's actions have should have appropriate consequences. :salut:

Last edited by a moderator:
If Mikael Tam would have walked away from the hit with minor injuries, then Cormier's punishment would have been much less severe (obviously). However, the injuries were anything but minor. Therefore, this guy should be banned for life. Actions have consequences. :salut:

Not sure the severity of the injury should impact the punishment. But the intent was clearly to significantly injure so he should be gone.

I'm kind of torn on the whole issue. Obviously the smiling disturbs me about it. It makes one think Cormier's intention all along was to injure the player. Lots of times guys lay a hit (even one they know fully well is illegal) wanting to cause pain but not permanent injury. The game itself is fast and players play with mean intentions and are brought up by coaches to be physical and lay body checks at all times. How does one promote violence and tell someone it's okay to drop a shoulder into a chin at 30mph but not an elbow? I understand that it's outside the rules of the game and I accept that, but the results can and often are the same. It's too fine of a gray area much like the "defenseless receiver" rules in football. There is talk of police involvement, which I totally disagree with. If it was a stick or skate then perhaps as it would be considered a weapon, but it was a body part. Had he used his shoulder and made a "clean it" does it make it any less tragic or severe?

The NHL also wants to be involved, which I also disagree with. It did not happen in their league and they should mind their own business. All they need to do is adopt a blanket policy that states no player is eligible for league play if they have an outstanding suspension unserved in another hockey league. If the QMJHL suspends Cormier for life then this takes effect and he can't play in the NHL. They cannot pick and choose who and when they want to make a stand. Some existing players in the league have not served their suspensions in junior/minors simply because they are up with the parent NHL club and that is wrong.

i thought they had some kind of policy in place about suspensions. I know if someone gets suspended from our league, ECHL, they aren't allowed to play for AHL or NHL until the suspension is served. Although they can play for the European Leagues and Canadian Leagues. It was an ugly hit yes, and the smiling just makes it that much more of a cheap shot.

I do think that he shouldn't be allowed to play anymore because you drop a shoulder once and unless you learn your lesson you will do something more drastic the next time.

I'm kind of torn on the whole issue. Obviously the smiling disturbs me about it. It makes one think Cormier's intention all along was to injure the player. Lots of times guys lay a hit (even one they know fully well is illegal) wanting to cause pain but not permanent injury. The game itself is fast and players play with mean intentions and are brought up by coaches to be physical and lay body checks at all times. How does one promote violence and tell someone it's okay to drop a shoulder into a chin at 30mph but not an elbow? I understand that it's outside the rules of the game and I accept that, but the results can and often are the same. It's too fine of a gray area much like the "defenseless receiver" rules in football. There is talk of police involvement, which I totally disagree with. If it was a stick or skate then perhaps as it would be considered a weapon, but it was a body part. Had he used his shoulder and made a "clean it" does it make it any less tragic or severe?

The NHL also wants to be involved, which I also disagree with. It did not happen in their league and they should mind their own business. All they need to do is adopt a blanket policy that states no player is eligible for league play if they have an outstanding suspension unserved in another hockey league. If the QMJHL suspends Cormier for life then this takes effect and he can't play in the NHL. They cannot pick and choose who and when they want to make a stand. Some existing players in the league have not served their suspensions in junior/minors simply because they are up with the parent NHL club and that is wrong.

Doesn't this dude have a contract with an NHL team? If so, it is their business. I don't know how the contracts/rights work for these junior guys though so I'm probably wrong.

Back