Football Titans owner says Young remains QB of future

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Vince Young's only pass this season since spraining his left knee in the opener went for 54 yards, after which he told reporters, "I'm good."

That came in the Tennessee Titans' 47-10 victory over the hapless Detroit Lions in Week 13.

Two weeks later, in an interview with a Nashville newspaper, Tennessee owner Bud Adams seemed to agree, despite Young's status as a backup for the Titans (12-1) behind Kerry Collins.

Adams said he still has high expectations for Young, including perhaps even a starting role for the Titans again next season.

"He is a young guy and he is learning. He is still growing up,'' Adams told The Tennessean last week. "Vince is under contract for three more years, so he is not going anywhere.

"I just think he is going through a lot of different things right now. In his first year he went to the Pro Bowl, then took us into the playoffs the next year. And then at the start of this season he got booed and was injured, and it was just too much to take.

"But he has gotten over that and we've talked. I think he's doing a great job working as the No. 2 guy behind Kerry, but he'll get another chance.''

Collins has led the Titans since Week 2, when Young skipped a scheduled MRI exam a day after injuring his knee, then prompted a police search when he panicked someone by taking off hours later without his cell phone.

"He's done a great job taking over as the No. 1 quarterback," Adams said of Collins, according to the paper.

But Adams clarified that the decision who leads the Titans from behind center rests with the coaching staff.

"Vince will be the starter when he is ready to go, and when that happens will be up to the coaches,'' Adams said. "But we're not trading him [or releasing him], because we'd be letting go of an outstanding player. He didn't go downhill this quick. There's never been any talk about trading Vince; I'd certainly want to see him play some more.

"Vince is really on the right track and I've told him this many times: You'll be an outstanding pro quarterback before your career is over. He just went through a day he never had to go through before. But he'll be a great one, though.''

For his part, Young said he's focused on helping the Titans by "getting my body right and studying the game."

"Football is football," the 2006 NFL offensive rookie of the year said, according the The Tennessean. "I am very talented, and everybody knows what kind of athlete I am. Now I just need to get smarter with the game and get ready to use my God-given talent."

Back