Racing NASCAR drivers would like list of banned drugs

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Ryan Newman wants to know what drug Jeremy Mayfield has been indefinitely suspended for and a list of all drugs that he could be tested for in the future.

So do Brian Vickers and Kurt Busch.

"I think everyone wants a list right now,'" Newman said Thursday night before the Pit Crew Challenge at Time Warner Cable Arena.

Newman said he plans to discuss the situation with NASCAR. He believes there are enough drivers that want a list of drugs that are being tested for that they can present unified front and force the governing body to provide it moving forward.

He is concerned because Mayfield said his positive test was the result of combining a prescription drug with an over-the-counter drug, a claim the doctor that evaluated the test denied.

Newman said NASCAR has an obligations to the other 42 drivers on the track and "more importantly the fans" to clarify what happened.

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said the policies of not having a list of banned drugs and not revealing what drug was taken could be reevaluated if enough drivers request it. Chairman Brian France is expected to address the policy on Friday at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

"The whole system would be fixed if they just told us what Jeremy did," Newman said.

Mayfield's positive test came from a sample collected the Friday before the Richmond race. NASCAR officials informed him of the positive test five days later, at which time Mayfield requested a B sample test as he is allowed to under the policy.

NASCAR officials said they cannot park a driver until the second sample has been verified positive because the test is considered incomplete. They also did not consider Mayfield a threat during Friday's practice or qualifying at Darlington.

The B sample did not arrive until noon on Saturday.

Vickers wasn't concerned about Mayfield's status at Darlington. He said as long as the driver was staying up to minimum speed he was no more of a threat than anybody else. But Vickers was concerned he's never been given a banned drug list.

"To be honest with you, I'm a little scared," he said. "I'm afraid to take Nyquil. If I get a cold I don't know what to take. To me this is extremely gray, extremely vague."

The NFL, NBA, NHL, PGA and most major sports provide a public list of banned substances. NASCAR officials say their system is better because it doesn't limit what they can test for.

They also said Dr. David Black, who administers the program, has an open line if there are any questions about prescription of over-the-counter drugs. Newman said he was not aware of it.

NASCAR also provided teams a basic list of banned substances before the season for a mandatory test from an independent laboratory.

Jeff Burton said that list is three inches thick and close to 500 pages. He said he doesn't need to see anything else.

"It means nothing," he said.

Kurt Busch disagreed.

"It would be nice if there are a set of rules, guidelines that we live by," he said. "It's hard to know what the rules are if they don't give you a set of guidelines."

Newman, noting he hasn't had a drink since the age of 16 and has never been high on any drugs, said he's never been concerned about drug tests. But because so little is known about what can create a positive test, he is now worried.

"I have never tried to protect myself," he said. "Now that we've seen what happened I have to protect myself."

Newman went so far as to say the system doesn't work if it takes five or more days to get a test back, reminding that Mayfield drove at Richmond the day after his first test that came back positive.

Newman suggested drivers be tested earlier in the week, but because tests take about five days to run that wouldn't be a deterrent. He'll make those suggestions to NASCAR.

"I will," he said. "I feel to protect myself and wife and team I need a better understanding of what I can and cannot do."

Back