Featured My Custom Sports Card Creations

Discussion in 'Sports Card Chat' started by CamaroDMD, Sep 15, 2016.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD Insert Cool Title Moderator

OK. Here are my most recent creations. The subject of first one should come as no shock to anyone being that I am a huge Oregon fan. I did this card in the style of 1989 Topps because it is one of my all-time favorite sets. As a kid, my brother and I probably opened a couple cases of that set so it has a strong tie to my childhood.

#12 1989 Topps Marcus Mariota
    [​IMG]

The subject of this next card might come as a shock to some of you because I am such a huge Oregon fan. However, as a native of the state of Oregon I do closely follow and "hope for the best" for the "other" Oregon program. Jonathan Smith was the Beavers QB when I was in high school. He was a walk on that became the starter and took a terrible program to a BCS bowl. He is currently the OC of the University of Washington football team. This card is designed in the style of 1966 Philadelphia. I took some artistic liberties with the back but it has the "feel" of the original.

#13 1966 Philadelphia Jonathan Smith
    [​IMG]

2. ranbethscards

ranbethscards NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah! Moderator

Not bad... but come on now.. Mariota a "Super Rookie"? lol...

3. CamaroDMD

Haha, that was just something Topps put on the 1989 cards for players who had solid rookie seasons. If it's on the 1989 Mark Rypien...I think it's OK for Mariota.

ranbethscards likes this.
  4. Taliasen

Taliasen Collecting Rickey Henderson and Sean Casey. Moderator

5. CamaroDMD

OK, here is another one. Just finished this one today. This is a totally new design and based on 1968 Topps football.

#14 1968 Topps Danny O'Neil
    [​IMG]

6. ranbethscards

you need to do a Ed O'Neill (Married with Children) in his high school football uniform!...

7. CamaroDMD

Polk High...4 Touchdowns in 1 Game! I might just do that. I have a couple others I want to do first...but I'll put that on the list.

8. ranbethscards

Goooo Polk High!

9. CamaroDMD

OK, here's the next one. This guy played a little before my time and he's one of my favorite players to watch in old game films. It baffles me that he isn't in the Hall of Fame.

This is another example of a player where Topps didn't make a final card for. He played through 1986 but his last Topps issue was 1985 (which reflects his career from 71-84). I decided to make a 1987 Topps card for him which would reflect his entire career.

#15 1987 Topps Ken Anderson
    [​IMG]

10. ranbethscards

Kenny was Mister Bengals... one of the greats from his era. I agree... he should be in the HOF!

11. CamaroDMD

Here are a couple more of the 40,000 Yard Club cards I finished today.

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #9 Vinny Testaverde
    [​IMG]

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #10 Drew Bledsoe
    [​IMG]

12. CamaroDMD

OK, so it has been a while since I posted anything. I was very sick for a lot of October and as soon as I was back to work...things got very busy. So, haven't had a lot of free time to design. But, here are a couple new ones. I just finished the 1973 a few minutes ago.

The first one is of Carolina Panthers backup Derek Anderson. Anderson does not have a card with the Panthers and I thought he deserved one. Although he's a former Oregon State QB (Boo)...I did enjoy watching him play when he was in college and I'm glad he has found some NFL success.

#16 1973 Topps Derek Anderson
    [​IMG]

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #11 Peyton Manning

[​IMG]

I'm sure most people will remember Kerry Collins as a member of the Giants...if I was being really strict about this I would probably have done it that way. But, I love my Panthers...and it's my set, so I took some artistic license. :)

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #12 Kerry Collins
    [​IMG]

13. ranbethscards

Sweet looking Kerry Collins... but who's that Peyton guy? lol

Collins .. 1995? what? seems like only yesterday I was watching him play for Penn State

14. CamaroDMD

I agree. I remember his last game with Penn State. They played in the Rose Bowl against my Ducks. That was the year that Oregon really grew up. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

15. unkilldoo

unkilldoo Active Member

Just my 2 cents if you don't mind...First of all these cards look awesome, all of them. I think you did a great job. Now back to my 2 cents. Have you given any thought to sending 2 copies of the cards that you send off to get signed? Maybe Danny O'Neil, and some of the other Ducks players, that didn't have a card of themselves produced, would enjoy a copy of their own card. I think it would be a great gesture. OK, that's my 2 cents.

16. unkilldoo

unkilldoo Active Member

One of my favorite movies!

17. CamaroDMD

I actually have. I sent O'Neil and Saladin McCullough 3 cards each...1 for me and 2 for them. I also include in my letters that I'm happy to make additional cards for them if they would like.

unkilldoo likes this.
  18. CamaroDMD

So, I really wanted to get the 40,000 Yard Club set done...so I spent some time today and ground it out. I will update the stats of all the active players on the back once they retire and since the set has been done in order of joining the club...any new members can be easily added down the road.

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #13 Drew Brees
    [​IMG]

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #14 Tom Brady

[​IMG]

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #15 Eli Manning

[​IMG]

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #16 Ben Roethlisberger

[​IMG]

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #17 Philip Rivers

[​IMG]

1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club #18 Carson Palmer
    [​IMG]

ranbethscards and unkilldoo like this.
  19. unkilldoo

unkilldoo Active Member

Very cool, these look great. Laying them out in chronological order was a great idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
  20. CamaroDMD

I'm glad you like them!

Draft saved Draft deleted