Featured My Custom Sports Card Creations

Discussion in 'Sports Card Chat' started by CamaroDMD, Sep 15, 2016.

1. unkilldoo

unkilldoo Active Member

Nice cards!

Mo Lewis of the NY Jets, is the guy that laid the devastating hit on Bledsoe, taking him out of the game, and making room for Brady.

I really liked the Pro Set Portraits set, with the quotes, and the photos, that weren't your typical football photos. Of course, chasing the autographs just makes it that much cooler.

2. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD Insert Cool Title Moderator

I remember the Mo Lewis play. Changed the sport.

I loved the Pro Line Portraits autos...some of my favorites. I have a whole bunch of them. The McMahon auto is a real hard SP...I'd love to have one someday.

3. CamaroDMD

OK, here are a few more customs:

This first one is another card to commemorate one of the bowl games my Ducks played in when I was a kid. This was back when it was just a huge deal to make a New Years Day bowl game...even if the result wasn't great.

#40 1985 Topps 1996 Cotton Bowl
    [​IMG]

Here is the next "missing" Joe Namath card. This is the 1975 Topps. I figured @unkilldoo would appreciate this one.

#41 1975 Topps Joe Namath
    [​IMG]

This is the card I am doing for the tutorial. This is a card that shows Joe Montana having transition to the KC Chiefs. I wanted to do a Topps Traded re-create and I figured this was a good topic for it. Typically Topps Traded had to do with rookies or players in new locations. So, the design of this card is 1989...but the theme of it dates to 1993.

#42 1989 Topps Traded Joe Montana
    [​IMG]

unkilldoo likes this.
  4. unkilldoo

unkilldoo Active Member

They look great! Also, you are correct, unkilldoo very much appreciates how the Namath cards came out. It's nice to see cards that never were, but definitely should have been! Kudos to you "CamaroDMD"

5. CamaroDMD

OK, so here are my next couple. One of my all-time favorite historical athletes is Roger Maris. The first card Maris ever had was in the 1958 Topps set...the year after he made his debut with the Indians. I thought it would be fun to make him a pre-rookie card in the 1957 Topps design. So, here it is:

#43 1957 Topps Roger Maris
    [​IMG]

Up next is a card for one my all-time favorite football players. As crazy as it sounds, I have always had a special place in my heart for kickers. I believe a good kicker gives you an additional win (if not 2) per season. My favorite kicker of all-time was Morten Andersen. I as thrilled to see that he had been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2017 (only the second true kicker in the HOF). So, I wanted to create a card for that.

This card is based on the Hall of Fame issues in the 1990 Pro Set football set:

#44 1990 Pro Set Morten Andersen HOF
    [​IMG]

6. CamaroDMD

Here are a couple more.

As I have mentioned in the past, my favorite baseball team is the Braves. They have been since I was a little kid. Sometimes I like to make custom cards of former Braves players. Frequently it's players I watched as a kid...but today is something way different. I have used my 1963 Topps template for this card and I created a card of one of the greatest players in baseball history. Many people don't know he played one season (well, part of a season) for the Braves...and many people who do know would like to forget it. But, Babe Ruth rounded out his career back in Boston where it started...playing one final forgettable season with the Boston Braves in 1935.

#45 1963 Topps Babe Ruth
    [​IMG]

Up next is a card that I made some time ago but never released. I mentioned a while back that sometimes I create multiple versions of a card before I settle on the right one. With my 40,000 Yard Club set...I struggled to decided if I wanted to portray the player with the team that he broke that milestone with or the team he is most know with. For the first five cards, I created alternate versions where applicable (Unitas and Montana)...one with each option before I finally settled on a decision. Ultimately, I decided that the 40,000 yard threshold is a career achievement and portrayed the players in their most know uniforms. However, I kept the two alternate versions that I created. I released the alternate Montana a while back but here is the alternate Unitas.

#46 1989 Topps 40,000 Yard Club Johnny Unitas SD
    [​IMG]

7. CamaroDMD

OK, here are a few more.

The first one features a player I liked when he was in college. He was one of those guys who was undersized and not the best athlete...but he worked hard and made the most of his chances. He took over as the starter as a freshman due to an injury and was very successful. In the end, he would lose his starting job to a younger big named recruit (although he would replace him at the end of the season for a couple final dramatic games)...but he still had a great career. He's also the new head coach of the University of Houston football team.

#47 1968 Topps Major Applewhite
    [​IMG]

The next card is a continuation of the cards I am doing to commemorate the Oregon bowl games that have been played since I started following the Ducks as a kid. This card is for the 1997 Las Vegas Bowl...which was the first bowl game that I saw Oregon win (and going in we were huge underdogs). To be honest, I don't love how this card turned out. Photos from that game are very hard to find online and as a result, I was stuck with a really low resolution photo which makes the picture look grainy. If I find a better photo in the future, I will upgrade.

#48 1985 Topps '97 Las Vegas Bowl
    [​IMG]

Up next is the continuation of my project to create the "missing" Joe Namath cards from Topps sets. As I have mentioned before, Namath's career spanned 65-77 but Topps only made cards from 65-73. I have already done 1974, 1975, and 1978 Topps cards for Namath. This is my 1976.

#49 1976 Topps Joe Namath
    [​IMG]

Last one for today. As this is my 50th card in the custom set...I wanted to do something special to commemorate that. Obviously, with all the various sets I have done this isn't truly my 50th custom...but it's the 50th card in this set which features all my unique designs. To me, that was a milestone.

So, what I decided to do was go back to where I started. I decided to re-create that very first custom in a fun and flashy way. To use all the tools and skills I have learned creating customs to make a completely special version of that card...so that's what I did. I took my original 1967 Topps Danny O'Neil...the card that started this whole hobby for me...and re-made it.

And here is the result:

#50 1967 Topps Danny O'Neil Special Edition
    [​IMG]

unkilldoo likes this.
  8. CamaroDMD

So, I wasn't going to do anymore of these...but I loved how much the first one turned out I decided to do another.

I have always been a fan of the quarterback position...I think like most people. So, I thought that I would do a 1967 Topps Special Edition for each QB performance from the major bowl games (BCS/CFP type bowls) that Oregon has played in during my life. Since my favorite player is the next card...I decided to do it now.

At this time, there are 9 games that meet that criteria...and I will mix them in with my other customs as I move forward. But, I wanted to do the second one now. So, here it is:

#51 1967 Topps Tony Graziani Special Edition
    [​IMG]

unkilldoo likes this.
  9. CamaroDMD

OK, here is the next one. Although it was a bit before my time, I have always had a deep rooted fascination with the USFL. I think the history of the league is really interesting and wish I had been around to see it live.

I love the Topps USFL sets...I have a complete 1985 set and would like to get an 1984 set at some point. One of my long term dreams is a pair of signed sets.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to make a 1986 Topps USFL card. Such a set never existed...but I thought it would be a neat project. So, I took the 1986 Topps NFL set and used the front design of the record breaker subsets. Using that as a basic framework, I created a unique design for the front of the card. The back is also based on 1986 Topps...but using the standard player background. Here is the result:

#52 1986 Topps USFL Bobby Hebert

10. Taliasen

Taliasen Collecting Rickey Henderson and Sean Casey. Moderator

I need to get this card printed. I could just never get it to line up right.
    The watermark off-set image on the front and back can come off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. unkilldoo

unkilldoo Active Member

Are you sure you're not from the southeast? With your favorite teams being the Panthers in football, and the Braves in baseball, it would make a good argument. :happy:

ranbethscards likes this.
  12. unkilldoo

unkilldoo Active Member

As usual these cards look great also. But I really love the updated 1967 Topps Special Edition design. Oh yeah, that Namath is looking pretty sweet also! :angelic:

13. CamaroDMD

LOL, no lived my whole life in Oregon...but I understand how you might think that. I follow both of those teams for different reasons.

For the Braves, they were always on TV when I was a kid. I would put TBS on and watch them play everyday after school. I'd have it on in the background when doing my homework. So, even though they played across the country...I watched them play almost everyday thanks to Ted Turner. They have been my team ever since.

The Panthers are bit more complicated. As a kid, I was a huge Joe Montana fan (like many on the west coast). When SF traded him to KC...I swore off the 49ers and followed him to KC and became a Chiefs fan. When he retired after 1994, I didn't really have a team to follow. So, I started to look around for one. The Carolina Panthers (and the Jacksonville Jaguars) were expansions teams starting play in 1995...and they played each other in the 1995 HOF Game. I watched that game and really liked the Panthers. They had several players I had watched play in college (Chad Cota, Kerry Collins, ect.) and the thought of following a team from their first game seemed appealing. So, I decided to start following the Panthers. They have been by favorite team ever since.

Thanks. I spent a lot of time with the Special Edition cards and I can't wait to print one up and see how it actually looks in hand. I'll be doing some printing next week probably and I'll make sure there is an extra '76 Namath in there. ;)

OK, here is the next one. This is my first basketball card. I did this card to commemorate the amazing season my Oregon Ducks men's team had. Here it is:

#53 1990-91 NBA Hoops 2016-17 Oregon Ducks
    [​IMG]

14. CamaroDMD

So, I decided to do another Final Four card. Since my wife and I went to the Final Four this year to watch our respective undergrad schools play...I decided I should make a card for her school too. So, here is the Gonzaga card:

#54 1990-91 NBA Hoops 2016-17 Gonzaga Bulldogs
    [​IMG]

15. CamaroDMD

So, I was recently challenged by Taliasen to create a series of custom cards for "Major League" pitcher Eddie Harris that would have resembled real cards he would have had when the movie came out. So, my plan is to make 1989 Donruss, Fleer, Score and Topps Eddie Harris cards.

These have been kind of fun because he doesn't have a ton of backstory in the movie...other than being a veteran pitcher. So, I got to be a little creative with the backstory.

Here are the first two:

#55 1989 Donruss Eddie Harris
    [​IMG]

#56 1989 Fleer Eddie Harris
    [​IMG]

unkilldoo, ranbethscards and Taliasen like this.
  16. CamaroDMD

OK, here are the other two Eddie Harris cards:

#57 1989 Score Eddie Harris
    [​IMG]

#58 1989 Topps Eddie Harris
    [​IMG]

unkilldoo and ranbethscards like this.
  17. Taliasen

Taliasen Collecting Rickey Henderson and Sean Casey. Moderator

18. unkilldoo

unkilldoo Active Member

I love the 1989 Topps. Great picture choice!

19. CamaroDMD

Thanks. I was hoping I would be able find a good ice photo for one of them. I think it worked well.

OK, so here are a couple more. These conclude my effort to create the "missing" Joe Namath base cards from the 1974-1978 Topps sets. So, here are the final two:

#59 1977 Topps Joe Namath
    [​IMG]

#60 1977 Topps Mexican Joe Namath

[​IMG]

OK, so that's it for now.

You might notice a slight decrease in the volume of my customs for the next few weeks. I have a huge backlog on the production side for the customs and several other projects I need to get caught up on. I will still continue to work on new one's, but not at the same rate so I can get a few other things done.

unkilldoo likes this.
  20. unkilldoo

unkilldoo Active Member

They look fantastic. I especially love the Topps Mexican version. A very tough set that I'm still working on.

Draft saved Draft deleted