Basketball Yao Ming saddened by Mu's death

Hands

Bench Warmer
MIANYANG, Sichuan Province, Sept. 14 (Xinhua) -- NBA star center Yao Ming was saddened by the death of former Chinese basketball star Mu Tiezhu on Sunday.

Mu, who stood 2.28 meters, two centimeters taller than Yao, died at 59 of heart attack in a Beijing hospital on Sunday noon.

Yao Ming and his "Yao's Team" of Chinese and American agents heard the news of Mu's death while having a charity tour of southwest China's Sichuan which was devastated by a deadly earthquake on May 12.

"Mu Tiezhu and I represent two different generations of Chinese basketball centers," said Yao. "When people talk about 'towering centers', they would never forget Mu Tiezhu."

Yao first met Mu when he trained with the Chinese under-18 team. "I looked up to him when I first saw him," he said. "Not literally. I mean I admired him very much."

Yao added he was saddened by Mu's death as much as Wilt Chamberlain's.

Chamberlain, the legendary NBA star idolized by Yao Ming, died at 62 in 1999.

Mu joined the People's Liberation Army (PLA) in 1972 and made it to the Bayi (Chinese Army) team in 1973. Four years later, Mu was called to the national team.

He led the Chinese team to its first Asian championship title in1977, the Asian Games gold medal in 1978 and an 11th-place finish in the world championship the same year.

Mu, who averaged over 20 points, had once scored 80 points in a domestic game.

The basketball giant ended his playing career in 1987 to coach the Bayi team and moonlight in movie business. He starred in a few comedy movies, such as "The Silly Manager", "Dark Corridor" and "Overnight Singing Star".

Mu, who had the PLA rank as a senior colonel of the civil service, retired in 2000.

Back