Football Steelers' Harrison to skip White House visit

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
When the Pittsburgh Steelers visit the White House as Super Bowl champions on Thursday, they'll be without their reigning defensive player of the year.

Linebacker James Harrison has said the trip is no "big deal" and he'll skip it again after not making the trip following the Steelers' title in 2006.

"If you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl," he told Pittsburgh's WTAE-TV. "So as far as I'm concerned he would have invited Arizona if they had won."

Harrison, a five-year veteran, recorded a career-high 16 sacks during the 2008 season. He agreed to a six-year, $51 million extension in April, two months after the Steelers capped the season with a 27-23 triumph over the Cardinals.

Harrison joked perhaps he'll join his teammates for the trip in six years -- when they don't win a title and have "10, 11 rings."

"I don't feel the need to actually go," he said of the visit with President Barack Obama. "I don't feel like it's that big a deal to me."

The Steelers had no comment Monday about Harrison's comments. Steelers chairman Dan Rooney was an early supporter of Obama's and has been nominated to be the U.S. ambassador to Ireland.

Back