Tony Stewart Breaks Leg -- UPDATE

Discussion in 'Racing Card Talk' started by ranbethscards, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ranbethscards

ranbethscards Insane Moderator... waiting for NASCAR Products Moderator

jayski.com and several news outlets report:

This is very bad news for Tony Stewart, as he currently sits #11 in the points chase, with one win.

Missing this race will cost him 40-plus points, which will more than likely put his teammate (Ryan Newman, 1 win) ahead of him in the hunt for the Wild Card spot. Newman is currently 19 points behind Stewart.

2. Leafsfan1967

Leafsfan1967 Well-Known Member

Could he not use his past champion status, and skip qualifying starting at the back for the race, cruise around at the back for the warmup lap, and change drivers taking the green. Big track, they wouldn't lose a lap, and could catch back up under caution, or take the lucky dog if they get lapped?

3. ranbethscards

Good question ... not sure how that works... it would be like Hamlin when he first came back after his back injury... he was allowed to start the race... drive a couple laps, then swap out with another driver, but getting the points.

4. ranbethscards

... and Papis to drive the #14... crap...

... and since it's Stewart's RIGHT leg... how soon can he be cleared to drive?

5. Leafsfan1967

Leafsfan1967 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize how bad he was hurt (2 surgeries), so no chance he'll be doing that for a while! Papis could do pretty well at The Glen this weekend?

6. ranbethscards

Papis? honestly, my first choice would have been Rob-Me Gordon... but even though rumor has it that Gordon might field a team next year, he wants to stay away from NASCAR this year.

7. ranbethscards

Stewart's season is OVER...

The latest reports say that Tony will miss at least THREE (3) Cup Races due to his broken right leg.

There is NO WAY he can recover the points he will loose and make the Cup Chase.

8. Zahadum

Zahadum Member

This is one of a few reasons I think this should not be allowed. You pick one racing series to drive in period. So in Stewart's case because he made a decision to drive another style of racing he likes he basically threw away his chances to be in the chase for another championship. From a sponsor stand point I'm sure they are not overly happy about this either.

9. ranbethscards

Zippy says that Stewart will be out racing for four to five weeks. A replacement driver announcement is to be made on Monday.

That makes it official. Stewart's run for the Cup is over for 2013.

10. pojokers

pojokers Member

That's a tough break for Tony Stewart no pun intended. He has a lot going for him. I hope he heals quick, there's always next year.

11. Flame

Flame Member

Stewart out of hospital

12. Flame

Flame Member

Martin to be named Stewart's sub on Monday afternoon

13. ranbethscards

shhhhhhh.... nobody is suppose to know that... (Mark Martin tried his best to keep it a secret after the race... but wasn't very good at denying any knowledge).

14. Flame

Flame Member

Word is out
    It's all over fox sports

Draft saved Draft deleted