Racing UPDATE (8/25/13): Haas to sponsor Kurt Busch in 2014?

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Yayski.com reports:

Kurt Busch headed to Stewart-Haas? Stewart Haas Racing has submitted a formal offer to #78-Kurt Busch to drive a fourth Sprint Cup entry beginning in 2014, multiple NASCAR sources have confirmed to ESPN.com. The proposed deal would team Busch with team owner Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick and Danica Patrick in the SHR stable. Asked for confirmation Sunday, SHR spokesman Mike Arning submitted the following statement via email: "Stewart-Haas Racing constantly strives to improve itself, and expansion is something that is often discussed. If the right opportunity presents itself, it's something the team will certainly consider." Busch was unavailable for comment Sunday night. Sources said Haas/CNC would sponsor Busch's car, should he choose to sign with SHR. Busch has performed quite well this season in the #78 Chevy from Furniture Row Racing, but team sources say FRR has yet to offer him a contract extension.

First, Stewart-Haas to have a fourth car? They got rid of Newman because they were NOT going to run a fourth car. This reminds me of when Lowe's decided to "get out of NASCAR" and stopped sponsoring Mike Skinner, only to jump to Hendrick's Motorsports and sponsor the up-and-coming rookie, Jimmie Johnson. Say what you mean and mean what you say!

...as reported by Fox Sports back in July:

As part of the Kevin Harvick move to SHR, team owner Tony Stewart confirmed Friday that Newman will not be involved with the organization next season. At this time, Stewart doesn’t believe it’s in the company’s best interest to field more than three cars. Along with Stewart, Danica Patrick joined SHR last season.

Second, NO NO NO!!! Don't do it Kurt. When nobody in NASCAR would give you a ride, FRR stepped up and gave you the chance to prove yourself. Stay loyal to FRR and show the NASCAR community that a small "mom and pop" organization can win the Cup Chase!

Last edited:
jayski.com reports:

Kurt Busch has been offered an extension from Furniture Row Racing. Although Busch was offered a deal from FRR earlier this year, he opted to wait and kick the tires before making a final decision. "The timing of making a decision is what it needs to be," Busch said. "There are timelines on things and things that have to fall into place. The timing of this is tough because its the middle of August and its the run towards the Chase. But its a decision I have to put a lot of time and effort into. "So, well see how things play out. Right now, the focus is these three weeks and getting into the Chase. The cool part about everything is that after the next three weeks, I hope were five points from the championship lead  because that will mean we are in." When SHR competition director Greg Zipadelli was asked about Buschs status for next season, he replied, "As far as Kurts deal, that is moving forward. We spent some time this week talking about buildings and expanding. As far as that part of it goes we are pretty much committed."

jayski.com's lastest report on the continuing Kurt Busch saga:

Haas would sponsor Kurt Busch: Kurt Busch will be sponsored by Haas Automation if he signs with Stewart-Haas Racing for the 2014 season. Gene Haas, who co-owns SHR with Tony Stewart, told ESPN.com on Saturday he wants the 2004 Sprint Cup champion in one of his cars because he wants to take his non-racing company's name to Victory Lane. "I'd be happy to have a driver like that on our team," Haas said before the Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway. "You'd win a lot of races. I'd really be happy for my company Haas to be in the winner's circle. I've never been there. I want to be there with that name. I know Kurt has had a lot of sponsorship issues, but to me, I just want to win. I'm not too much worried about that stuff." Haas and the Furniture Row Racing driver began talking about the possibility of him coming to SHR last month during a General Motors dinner in Indianapolis. Not long after that, SHR offered Busch a contract to expand the organization to four teams with Stewart, Kevin Harvick and Danica Patrick. Busch has offers from several other teams, including one from Furniture Row that was given to his attorneys on Friday. Busch has yet to look over the FRR deal and likely won't until Monday. Haas said nothing has been signed as far as he knows, but he is optimistic Busch will come to SHR.

Now, I find this statement by Haas VERY comical: "I know Kurt has had a lot of sponsorship issues, but to me, I just want to win. "

"...just want to win." Then why is Danica still on the team? (yeah, I said it.. answer that for me Mister Haas).

I can't believe that the teams are allowed to talk about this stuff publicly while he's under contract to Furniture Row? Isn't that tampering? If you did that in hockey before the player was a free agent, the teams would be fined millions of dollars, and have to forfeit 1st round draft picks. I can't believe this practice is allowed. How can a guy concentrate on the remainder of this year when all this stuff is circulating? This could be argued that these premature contract talks effects his performance, and could be argued in court to that effect. I think it's complete bush league that nascar allows this to happen until the last lap at Homestead has been completed.

Back