Basketball Orlando's Pat Garrity Retires

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Orlando, FL – Forward Pat Garrity has announced his retirement from the NBA. After being acquired by Orlando in 1999, Garrity appeared in 513 regular season games for the Magic, the second-most in franchise history.

“After 10 wonderful years of playing in the NBA, I have decided to retire,” said Garrity. “I am so grateful for being able to play for as long as I have and to have established long lasting roots in Orlando. I want to extend my heartfelt thanks to the Orlando Magic and the great fans of Central Florida and for all of their years of support. Playing with and against the greatest basketball players in the world has been an experience which has given me some of the fondest memories of my life.”

Garrity added: “As a professional athlete, I have always been aware that the time would come for me to begin another chapter in my life. That time has come and I look forward to the exciting challenges that lie ahead.”

Garrity was originally drafted in the first round (19th overall) of the 1998 NBA Draft by Milwaukee. He was acquired by Orlando in 1999, after coming to the Magic from Phoenix as part of the Anfernee Hardaway trade. Garrity has played in 552 regular season games during his NBA career with Phoenix and Orlando, averaging 7.3 ppg. and 2.6 rpg. in 20.0 mpg. He shot .398 (631-of-1,587) from three-point range, and led Orlando in three-point shooting for four straight seasons (1999-2003). Garrity connected on 624-of-1,569 (.398) trifectas in a Magic uniform.

"We thank Pat for his professionalism, character and leadership,” said Magic General Manager Otis Smith. “He gave us nine wonderful seasons and we certainly wish him all the best as he begins this next chapter in his life.

In addition to finishing second all-time in games played with Orlando, Garrity completes his career ranked on the Magic’s all-time franchise list in three-point field goals made (624, 4th), three-point field goals attempted (1,569, 4th) and in minutes played (10,524). He scored his 4,000th career NBA point April 5, 2008 at Cleveland.

Garrity’s contributions were tremendous off the court as well. He was the recipient of the Rich and Helen DeVos Community Enrichment Award in 2003-04, which recognizes outstanding community involvement in the Central Florida area.

Back