FaceBook "Buy, Sell, Trade!" Sports Card Page - LIAR!!!???

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
1968 Topps Nolan Ryan Rookie For Sale.

From the FaceBook Page: Sports Cards and Memorabilia - Buy, Sell, Trade!

Looks like a 5k 8.5

This card is approx. 1/64" short in both directions. The experts at SGC, who I have enormous respect for, said it's trimmed (on right edge when held horizontally) though it appears to have a short factory cut to me.

Either way it's 100% authentic and an affordable way to own an amazing looking Ryan rookie. It's never gone to PSA and it's entirely possible that they would grade it an 8 or better

For Sale or trade $575

(NOTE: Picture is at bottom of this thread)

I asked:
you took it out of the holder?

the answer:

It was never holdered.

I personally guarantee it's authentic, and I've disclosed SGC's assessment, and pictured their labels (evidence of trimming but obviously authentic)

WHAT? I NEVER HEARD OF ANY COMPANY GRADING A CARD, WITHOUT SLABBING IT (OR HOLDERED AS STATED BY THIS PERSON).

NOT ONLY DID SGA SUPPOSEDLY GRADE THE CARD... THEY GAVE THE GUY THE "LABEL" WITHOUT SLABBING IT?

ALOT OF PEOPLE ON FB ARE SAYING SCAM... THOUGHTS?

nolan ryan.jpg

Update: Seems the Administrators of the FB Page agreed that this whole thing was fake and have removed the posting. Seriously... when PSA employees are members of the page and they file a complaint, then you know something is wrong!

I've seen stamps certified and graded by PSE (another division of Collectors Universe, which owns PSA too), but never seen them do sports cards that way. That label looks like it says SGC though, and I'm not as familiar with them as I am with PSA slabs. My best guess is that it was rejected by SGC because it was trimmed and it could be that the guy is telling the truth about that. I don't know if you can extrapolate authenticity from it being rejected by SGC as a trimmed card though. Either way, I wouldn't buy it.

I've seen stamps certified and graded by PSE (another division of Collectors Universe, which owns PSA too), but never seen them do sports cards that way. That label looks like it says SGC though, and I'm not as familiar with them as I am with PSA slabs. My best guess is that it was rejected by SGC because it was trimmed and it could be that the guy is telling the truth about that. I don't know if you can extrapolate authenticity from it being rejected by SGC as a trimmed card though. Either way, I wouldn't buy it.
I'm still pretty sure SGC slabs the card with the trimmed label and no grade. This screams fake to me. Plus...$575 is awful high for a trimmed card. I paid $260 for my graded (and problem free) PSA 5. I wouldn't pay that much for a problem example...no matter how nice it looked.

So, SGC will slab problem cards then? All my slabbed cards, I always bought them already in the slab, and I've not bought any SGC slabbed ones either. So, no experience there.

I agree on the price but would take you one further. Don't buy an altered card whether it's real or not, and especially not for such a premium price.

So, SGC will slab problem cards then? All my slabbed cards, I always bought them already in the slab, and I've not bought any SGC slabbed ones either. So, no experience there.

I agree on the price but would take you one further. Don't buy an altered card whether it's real or not, and especially not for such a premium price.
They will grade them as "authentic" but they will not be assigned a grade. I'm not sure if this is an option you have to select or a default. I only have one slabbed card by SGC (and the label is wrong, lol).

I wouldn't buy most altered cards either. There are a few exceptions...just like with coins. If it is something rare enough to the point where another example might not come your way...or if it is a vintage signed card, that might be different. But as a general rule...problem free is the way to go.

Here is a great example of an authentic graded SGC card. This is the classic 1952 Topps Mantle. This card has been trimmed slightly (it measures short top to bottom just barely). However, this card shows remarkable centering...this issue was plagued with poor centering. Even though this card is altered, it is a beautiful example of the 52 Mantle (Type B). It sold for just under $5K last May. PSA 1 graded examples which look like rags sell for $5K+. So, the eye appeal for the dollar is much better with this card. It does have issues, but IMHO...this would be a great card to own. You get a stunning example for a bargain price (personally I prefer the Type A version, but that's OK).

I think this is an example of an altered card that might be worth the price tag.

The label in that slab looks very similar to the one the guy posted to the facebook group. Doesn't mean it couldn't be faked, of course, but it could be a label broken out of a slab. Not that you could read it from that image, but is there a way to check SGC slabs by their serial number?

Notice the "A" on the scan provided by CarmaroDMD...

There is NO "A" on the label from the card in question from FB.

HOWEVER... according to SGC Registry, which is a pain to try to figure out, there were a total of THREE (3) Ryan/Koosman "Rookie" cards that were submitted and all were given the "A".

If the FB card was legit, it would be given the "A" and NOT a "TRM".

...and according to a few other sources, one being a buddy that collects nothing but GRADED cards, no matter what company it is... all the cards ARE slabbed when graded.

Notice the "A" on the scan provided by CarmaroDMD...

There is NO "A" on the label from the card in question from FB.

HOWEVER... according to SGC Registry, which is a pain to try to figure out, there were a total of THREE (3) Ryan/Koosman "Rookie" cards that were submitted and all were given the "A".

If the FB card was legit, it would be given the "A" and NOT a "TRM".

...and according to a few other sources, one being a buddy that collects nothing but GRADED cards, no matter what company it is... all the cards ARE slabbed when graded.
I have personally never seen one that didn't have the "A." Doesn't mean that at one time they didn't put "trim" on them. Maybe at one time they didn't slab altered cards...I don't know for sure. It's also possible that he is just lying about the story. Perhaps it was cracked out...and the label kept. Perhaps it was cracked out, the real card set aside and a fake put next to it. I don't know for sure.

...and the $575 price tag is so far out-of-line... according to Beckett... ungraded top end is $500... graded pricing, and you cannot give this anything higher than a EX-MT grading due to the "trim"... $300.00

Glad that the thread was removed by the administrators... before this guy could take advantage of a rookie collector.

It's a good thing there are people watching who can recognize a fake label. Any chance your buddy would join us over here and write up a guide to recognizing the difference between fake slabs and real ones?

Asked him along time ago Peter.... He does not like trade sites..... thinks we are hurting the hobby.
Since I'm not a huge trader...I would hope that this site becomes more than simply a trade site. I would love to see it become a venue for discussion, articles and sharing a common interest as well.

Back