17 years later:RJJ-BHop part II

HiEnd

Bench Warmer
NEW YORK (AP) -- Seventeen years after their first fight, Bernard Hopkins will meet Roy Jones Jr. in a rematch in April in Las Vegas.

The rematch is scheduled for April 3 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The 45-year-old Hopkins (50-5-1, 32 KOs) is a former middleweight and light heavyweight champion. He defeated Enrique Ornelas by unanimous decision in a light heavyweight bout in Philadelphia in December.

"A rematch with Roy has been in the back of my mind for a long time and it's finally going to happen," Hopkins said in Monday's release announcing the bout. "I have accomplished a lot in my career since that night in Washington, D.C., in 1993, and I am going to end this thing between me and Roy once and for all."

The 41-year-old Jones (54-6, 40 KOs) is coming off a loss to Australian Danny Green in the first round, also in December.

On May 22, 1993, in Washington, D.C., Hopkins lost a unanimous decision to Jones for the vacant IBF middleweight crown.

"We're giving the fans what they want to see. They deserve this fight and why not supply the fans with what they demand?" Jones said

Back