A "Missing" Baseball Card Collection Worth $146,805

Depending on the grade of the Matthews...it could be $10K. That is the #2 key card in the set below the Mantle. It is worth a pretty penny.

The 1952 Topps set is one I am currently working on...but I don't have that card.

my question is ... "how did the collection go missing?"

Did the guy take it to the men's room with him at the local Burger King and set it down on the sink and forget it?

I don't mean to be a "card snob" but it bugs me when I see articles like this with details wrong. I know the person who wrote the article isn't an expert in this area...and these details are not critical to the story, but it still bugs me. The detail that I am referring to concerns the 1952 Topps Mathews card. The article says: "The collection of 300,000 cards included a rare, 1952 Topps No. 407 Eddie Mathews Milwaukee Braves card that Mehall valued at $10,000." Now, most baseball fans who know about this era are well aware that Hall of Famer Eddie Mathews played the majority of his career with the Milwaukee Braves. But, his 1952 Topps rookie card is not a Milwaukee Braves card...it's a Boston Braves card.

Useless Fact: Eddie Mathews is the only player in Braves history to play for the Braves in all 3 of their cities (Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta).

Little mistakes like that get on my nerves as well. I guess it shows that we pay too much attention to things. With that said, I also do not understand how you can possibly "lose" something like that. My guess is that someone stole it...

It seems as if so many people end up losing their collection as they get older, but I never imagined something like this would happen.

Back