Autographed Cards in Pages

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
I have a bunch of older low value on card autos from various sets (old Pro Line, Signature Rookies, Press Pass, ect) that I'd like to put in a book. I enjoy these cards but they don't have the value to justify them being in top loaders and taking up that much space. Plus, they are harder to look at that way. Is there any risk to the signature itself being in a page (I use Ultra Pro Platinum pages)? It seems to me the ink would be subjected to the exact same contact in a penny sleeve/top loader...so I don't think there is any risk, but I wanted to ask around before I did it. I just don't want to store them in such a way as to damage the signature.

I put all my mid to low end autos in pages. I always put autos in a soft sleeve first. You have to find the small ones, the ones for thicker cards will wrinkle because they are too big for the 24 pt card. Ive put a couple older autos in pages before with no sleeve and the cards stuck to the pages and completely destroyed the autos. Now I do it for every auto card I have, wont take that risk again, lol. I haven't had a soft sleeve stick to a card yet, but Ive had a couple sleeves get stuck to the pages and thanked my lucky stars I put it in a sleeve first. :)

I put all my mid to low end autos in pages. I always put autos in a soft sleeve first. You have to find the small ones, the ones for thicker cards will wrinkle because they are too big for the 24 pt card. Ive put a couple older autos in pages before with no sleeve and the cards stuck to the pages and completely destroyed the autos. Now I do it for every auto card I have, wont take that risk again, lol. I haven't had a soft sleeve stick to a card yet, but Ive had a couple sleeves get stuck to the pages and thanked my lucky stars I put it in a sleeve first. :)
These are all "old school" thin cards. So, if I just find penny sleeves that fit those, I shouldn't have a problem?

Right. the sleeves for the 12 pt are the best for up to 24 pt cards, the tighter on the card without damaging it the better. If you use the bigger sizes it will protect the auto but the wrinkles will transfer onto the card eventually and it will damage it.

Do they normally say the size on the packaging? I'm looking on eBay and I can't seem to find any that give a pt size.

I believe they are this size, ultra pro goes off the length and width of the card instead of the thickness. 2-5/8" x 3-5/8" are the ones I think.

I just recently put a bunch of my low end autos in 9 page Ultra Pro pages in a binder. I needed a bunch of top loaders, and some needed to go, because they were turning yellow. I also needed to make room in my floor safe for any new aquisitions. I like the idea of being able to take out the binder, and flip through them whenever Iwant to. I did keep them in penny sleeves, and like Pat mentioned some did wrinkle up, but they are still sitting okay, so I'm not worried about it for now. Most of these are only selling for a buck, or two, or three, so not a big deal.

I noticed some of my older top loaders were turning yellow. I assume this is the plastic breaking down...is that correct? I would imagine it poses no risk to the cards though...right?

I have no idea why they turn yellow? Cards are in a fireproof, waterproof safe, so it has nothing to do with exposure to light. I've noticed some plastic clamshells of my Mcfarlane figures are turning yellow, too. Not many, but a few. The ones I noticed turning were 10+ years old, same as the top loaders in my safe, so it appears age has something to do with it, as well as something in the plastic causes it to yellow over time?

Mine are in penny sleeves, and top loaders, and the cards are all still perfect on the ones that are yellowed, so you should be fine.

Back