Baseball Baseball Gives Topps an Exclusive Deal

So when the lack of competition and the resulting lowering of quality and increase in price hits the shelves this is good for the customer?
The bubble is going to go poof, folks. Welcome to Topps' Brave New World.

Upper Deck will do the same thing Donruss did and make cards with no logos or MLB affiliation. Upper Deck will have lots of time to work on their football cards since that is all they have left. At least they still have Tiger.

Allen said:
Upper Deck will do the same thing Donruss did and make cards with no logos or MLB affiliation. Upper Deck will have lots of time to work on their football cards since that is all they have left. At least they still have Tiger.

Donruss did not do that. Panini bought Donruss. ;)

Ok, the way I see this is as follows:
MLB is trying to make the market geared towards kids and such, but they have just alienated the older collectors like myself. I love the Bowman draft products, and even enjoy the bowman regular set. I was never a big fan of Upper Deck to begin with, but, I will admit, they have some cool designs and cool cards.

If this deal affects minor league card's such as Just Minor's and Tristar, then I will stop collecting, because these cards are my hobby, I have a few images that have been used on cards before, and I will say that I like the Just and tristar products better than anything topps could ever produce.

As for the verdict on this deal, I believe that some way shape or form, UD will be back, and Topps will not have cornered the market. Granted they have a ton of good product, and a ton of cool cards, I think that this is bad for the hobby, and I agree with the poser above, the bubble is about to burst and when it does, say bye bye to the card industry.

My two cents.

Back