Basketball Bye Bye Metta World Peace?

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
CBSSports.com is reporting:

The Orange County Register reports that the Lakers will use their amnesty provision on forward Metta World Peace. World Peace is owed $7.7 million next season on an expiring contract for the 33-year-old.

MWP averaged 12 points, five rebounds, and two steals last season for LA, and until late in the season was one of the few major players on the team to be enjoying a good year. Then a late leg injury ended his season. Before the wrecked season, World Peace stated the Lakers would go 73-9, beating the best regular-season record in NBA history.

The move means the Lakers will not use the provision on Pau Gasol. So you'd think that, along with reports the Lakers intend to keep Gasol, he'll remain a Laker next seaason.

But on the other hand...

Here's the problem: With the amnesty of Metta World Peace and the signing of Chris Kaman, the Lakers are sending mixed signals as to whether they are tanking or not. World Peace had exercised a player option to try to return to the team next season.

Even at age 33 and with his ... eccentricities, World Peace should have no problem finding another team with his strength and skill set.

Sheesh, contracts are complex. I'm not familiar with any of that stuff, been "out of the loop" too long lol

(points gnarled finger at no one in particular)

"In MY day, if you had an injury, they took you out the back door, told you to never come back, and chambered a round in their shotgun."

OK, maybe not. ;)

It's good move for the Lakers, this way they can free up some space and look towards the future. Metta World Peace is nothing more than average now, he's not longer the shut down defender he once was. With an already aging roster, it's best to cut ties now and make a run in 2014, although I'll never count Kobe out despite his age and injury.

Haha yea this speaks volumes to the evolution of the game. Trades and movement are so common and sometimes can be scary (poor Celtics). Metta World Peace is officially overrated. Wherever he goes I wish him the best but I'm not holding my breath. Kobe and the ever changing Lakers can get another shot at greatness if they play their cards right.

Metta World Peace is a joke. He was known to be a violent player, then one year he runs in the stands to hurt a fan, then he changes his name to Metta World Peace. He should have been gone from the NBA a long time ago.

Metta World Peace is a joke. He was known to be a violent player, then one year he runs in the stands to hurt a fan, then he changes his name to Metta World Peace. He should have been gone from the NBA a long time ago.

How is Metta World Peace a joke?Just because he doesn't act the conventional way doesn't mean he is a joke. In professional sports we need people like Artest who act what alot of people would call in a "weird" way. All that matters is his performance on the court and obviously its good enough if a team that will compete for the championship the New York Knicks have given him a contract. He can still defend very well and can be a threat on the offensive end.

How is Metta World Peace a joke?Just because he doesn't act the conventional way doesn't mean he is a joke. In professional sports we need people like Artest who act what alot of people would call in a "weird" way. All that matters is his performance on the court and obviously its good enough if a team that will compete for the championship the New York Knicks have given him a contract. He can still defend very well and can be a threat on the offensive end.

I guess you're right. Metta World Peace does a lot of questionable things but he still does come to play. He's not as good as he used to be then again no athlete is. I think he mostly gets flak because of his name change and demeanor. He's very cocky and comes off unsportsman like a lot of the time, very much like Ocho Cinco. But yea the way you act outside of the court shouldn't matter, but it sure does help...

I don't know what the Lakers are going to do but everything they're doing right now isn't working. I think they should just start over with a whole new team. Kobe is always injured and the rest of the team isn't playing up to L.A.'s standards. I think the move to get rid of World Peace is a good one, just do a complete overhaul.

Back