Card of the day 2/27/2014

tim w

Bench Warmer
to celebrate the return of NHL hockey i offer you this piece of history. 1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky RC. enjoy!scan0171.jpgthis card was under graded. it should have fetched a 9.

Sweet lord, I want that one, lol! Have you considered sending it to PSA to grade? Isn't that Beckett's economy grading service. Isn't it better to have BGS, or PSA on something this valuable?

no this is a regular bgs service. anything graded 8 or less gets this BVG header plaque.

Ahh, okay thanks for explaining that to me, I had no idea. I know they have an economy grading service that doesn't go into great detail on the grading, just a basic ballpark grade, I thought that was it, but I think it may be BCCG, or something like that. Still, that is a magnificant card. Thanks for showing it to us.

By the way, does this service give you the subgrades on the card (centering, surface, edges, corners) I like seeing that on the slab.

yeah BCCG is the "sub grade" service. i never buy cards with the BCCG grading logo because you can actually ask for a certain grade and they will give it to you. The BVG does give the sub grades only if the card grades at 8.5 or higher. it might even be 9 or higher. it will also have a gold or silver colored plaque with all of the sub grades on it. only when you have a grade that is 8 or lower do you see this generic plaque with only the overall grade of the card.

Back