Check out this eBay "Buy It Now" - 1952 Bowman Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's impressive. Do you think that worth of that pack is due to its unopened condition, or the contents of it? This pack is almost like a little piece of history.

Was anyone else's first thought "I wonder if that gum is still edible", or was that just me?

The gum was barely edible when it was "fresh" in 1952, I bet (just like it was when I was growing up in the 80s.) lol. ... That's a great find. I have to do more nosing around like that on ebay. The only thing is it's sort of like a cruel tease because I don't have the money for it. ... You know what I wonder. I wonder if it's been opened, filled with junk cards with the knowledge that most likely whoever gets a hold of it will never open it. Isn't that a terrible thought? Huh. And, I'm usually too trusting!

I wouldn't
The gum was barely edible when it was "fresh" in 1952, I bet (just like it was when I was growing up in the 80s.) lol. ... That's a great find. I have to do more nosing around like that on ebay. The only thing is it's sort of like a cruel tease because I don't have the money for it. ... You know what I wonder. I wonder if it's been opened, filled with junk cards with the knowledge that most likely whoever gets a hold of it will never open it. Isn't that a terrible thought? Huh. And, I'm usually too trusting!
I know someone who LOVES old gum, but I bet even she'd pass on the '52 lol

I did give her some 20/25 year old gum I found in some Baseball products and she took it...but I didn't see her chew it.

As far as the junk cards thing: Yeah, that's a concern, but not a huge one given that it's "graded"...meaning signs of tampering would likely have been spotted...mayyybe. But, I'm guessing people have done just that, and made tons of money too. The higher the value on something, the more likely a con is going to get involved.

But, it has that "What if?" appeal. With six cards in an untampered pack, you're likely to find a few cards in the $60 to $80 range, a couple cards in the $100 to $250 range, and maybe a $500 card...if you're lucky.

If you're REALLY lucky you'll find a card worth $5,000, $15,000, or $50,000...but there are very few of those in the set:

http://portasite.com/?category_name=1952-topps

Overall, if I had the cash, my bid would be much less than the $20,000 they're asking. I'd probably have one of the lower bids at a grand or two. Then again, if I was rich, I'd offer like ten grand and see if that'd buy it. And yeah, I'd bust that sucker if I managed to get it lol

"The most valuable card in this set is #1 Andy Pafko. Mint condition examples of the Pafko card are almost nonexistent, and have sold for over $25,000.

COMPLETE SET (407) $100,000.00"

Wow. Complete set for 100k!? The more time I spend in these forums, the more I realize that every collector must have some small degree of insanity haha.

Do any of you have collections that in 60 years will be worth something like this? Or are these relics from a bygone age that will likely not be matched?

"The most valuable card in this set is #1 Andy Pafko. Mint condition examples of the Pafko card are almost nonexistent, and have sold for over $25,000.

COMPLETE SET (407) $100,000.00"

Wow. Complete set for 100k!? The more time I spend in these forums, the more I realize that every collector must have some small degree of insanity haha.
lol...I resemble that remark. :D

Do any of you have collections that in 60 years will be worth something like this? Or are these relics from a bygone age that will likely not be matched?
There are some exceptional modern cards and sets available, but they already cost two arms and a leg, so only the wealthy tend to own them.

The common collector's cards/collections are not likely to appreciate much over the next 50 years. The major reason being the lack of scarcity for modern cards, particularly after 1995 or so.

That said, some sets are intentionally limited, and those are likely to eventually reach decent prices someday. That's one reason people seek serial numbered cards, as they are produced in limited quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back