Hockey Heatley wants out over shrinking role

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Dany Heatley reiterated his desire to be traded from the Ottawa Senators, saying he's unhappy with his diminished role.

Heatley spoke Friday during a conference call, the first time he's commented publicly since he asked for a trade in the spring.

"When I signed in Ottawa two years ago, I felt it was to be an integral part of the team," Heatley said. "Over the last two years and more recently over the past year, I feel my role was diminished. This past season, it diminished a lot more.

"I'm a player who can play in a lot of different situations. I don't feel I was given that role on the team."

The winger signed a six-year contract extension less than two years ago.

Heatley said that after he verbally requested a trade in May, the Senators in June asked for the trade request to be made in writing.

The winger remains property of the Senators despite the club's best efforts to deal him. A trade with the Edmonton Oilers was nixed by Heatley himself. The Oilers since have withdrawn the offer.

Heatley said his decision to not go through with a trade to Edmonton had nothing to do with the city or the team, but rather he and his camp "wanted options."

The former 50-goal scorer says if he remains a Senator next month, he still will report to training camp.

"I have a contract and I'm going to honor that contract," he said. "At the same time, I think we know there are other teams out there who are interested, and hopefully something can get done."

Heatley is among those invited to the Canadian Olympic team orientation camp starting Monday in Calgary.

"I know there has been a lot of speculation and trade rumors ... and I wanted to clear the air," he said. "I did not make this public and it's unfortunate that it did become public ... My request for a trade has not changed."

He's an idiot. No one wants a murderer as much as he thinks they do playing for them. The guy is always bad press. Whenever he steps off the ice he's a moron.

Back