Baseball Is the Union too powerful?

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
During the PED fiasco yesterday afternoon, I decided to turn off ESPN and watch the story unfold on the MLB Network.

I was surprised to see the panelist talking about how Cruz and Pheralta were being selfish and were only thinking of themselves, by accepting the 50 game suspension, and not caring about their teams.

But an even bigger surprise was when the panelist discussed whether the Yankees would sit A-Rod or let him play during his appeal. Three-out-of-four Panelist stated that if A-Rod was not allowed to play he could file a grievance with the union. Filing a grievance would force the Yankees into letting A-Rod play.

Now, for a moment, let's forget the whole PED scenario and say that A-Rod missed practice for a couple days, without notifying the team, then showed up to the park to play ball. If the Yankees decided to "bench" A-Rod, could he file a grievance, and would the union demand that A-Rod be put on the list of starters?

The overall question here is... is the Union too powerful?

Just some fuel for thought.

The union does this in their best interests, if he doesnt get paid they dont get to take a percentage of his pay. They will fight to the last day to make sure he gets paid, and in turn they get paid.

Im not complaining about them though, Im part of a union and I gladly give them 5% of every paycheck to get me the best hourly rate they can. Usually its well worth the money, LOL!

Pat, look at it this way... let's say you stay home for two days, without notifying your employer... you come back to work and they give you a "time out" for a day or two... will your union force your employer to let you work?

It's a real sticky situation..
Manager Joe Girardi had said this weekend in San Diego that he expected to have Rodriguez available, and to play him.

"People have speculated for a while now that it was going to be the rest of this year and next year," manager Joe Girardi said of Rodriguez's suspension before Monday's game, ......."but I knew there was a possibility that he would appeal and that's why we kept him going, because we felt if he was ready, we could put him in the lineup on Monday.......

On another note in my opinion all should be punished the same not 50 games for one player and 200 for another (just an example)if you were found guilty the same amount of time should be handed out......

Our un
Pat, look at it this way... let's say you stay home for two days, without notifying your employer... you come back to work and they give you a "time out" for a day or two... will your union force your employer to let you work?

Yep. As long as you notify the union. The union I belong to is a stagehand union, and way ours works is the Events center, or outsorcing company (Usually A.R.T. or Richter Scale) has no control over who works and all that, its all done by the union. All they do is bss us around and pay us pretty much, lol.

When it comes to PEDS there is only one solution I said it before .....your gone your out of here ..send the message and only then will it stop.....they choose to do it differently 50 games etc.etc..half of baseball uses PEDS!It is not only in baseball!....Sports should be clean period! .."youngsters" are using PEDS..but that does not seem to fizz anyone...
SEND THE MESSAGE PROPERLY IN ALL SPORTS AND YOU WILL GET RESULTS!

Unions back in the 1920-1950s was a good thing. But today its a waste of money I don't want someone to pay me for doing nothing and I don't want to pay them for doing nothing. I live in a right to work state. I get laid off I don't have to wait for the union to find me a job I will go out and get one or create one. Can you say mowing yards.

In A-Rods case in my mind he is guilty and should take his punishment like a man and quit kicking and screaming like a 4 year old child who doesn't get his way. He is ruining the sport in my mind

Next we will need another hit streak or HR record to fix what A-rod is doing. That's my opinion about about and I think Selig should finally stand up like a man and face the facts that are given to him. Not coward in a corner and hopes he makes it well for all parties. Man I wish Judge Kennisaw was here or someone like him to fix this fiasco

That's the crazy thing about sports nowadays. Too much extra stuff to worry about. I say let A-Rod play, it really shouldn't have come to this or be this big of a deal. The union has become a juggernaut to watch for and if you slip up you better be sure they're going catch it. This is a very long winded way of saying yes. Yes the union is too strong

Unions across the US are getting to be too powerful...We have this odd misconception floating around in our society that if you take all the power from the employers and give it to the employees it will somehow lead to less corruption...as if both entities are not run by human beings. All you're doing is transferring where the greed is coming from. So I think it's important to allow for unionization, but unions and employers should be on a level playing field for negotiation....Fortunately though, in the sports world there is a push from the general public toward 'fair play' and morality. So both the unions the team owners are kind of pressured into acting rationally for publicity sake.

Back