Iverson traded to Pistons for Billups and McDyess

orangejello727

Bench Warmer
Nuggets, Pistons swap Iverson for Billups, McDyess
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
18 minutes ago

PrintDETROIT (AP)—The Detroit Pistons shook the NBA in a big way Monday—landing former MVP Allen Iverson from the Denver Nuggets.

The Pistons gave up All-Star point guard and former NBA finals MVP Chauncey Billups and top reserve Antonio McDyess.

The trade was confirmed by a basketball official, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the deal had not been announced.

Pistons spokesman Kevin Grigg declined to comment, and messages were left for a Nuggets spokesman as well as for an agent representing Billups and McDyess.

The blockbuster deal comes two games into the season for Detroit. The Pistons have been a model of consistency in recent years, but they were determined to change their core following a third straight exit from the Eastern Conference finals last summer.

The Pistons play at Charlotte Monday night. The Bobcats are coached by Larry Brown, who led Billups and the Pistons to the 2004 NBA title and also guided the Iverson-led Philadelphia 76ers to a spot in the finals in 2001.

Billups returns to familiar surroundings—he was born in Denver and played in college at Colorado. McDyess also will be enjoying a homecoming of sorts, having been a Nugget from 1995-97 and 1998-02.

Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Basketball '08. Get off the bench and register today.
Updated

I see this helping Denver but I don't see how Detroit improves with this. They're now going to be forced to play Iverson at PG which he has proven quite clearly throughout his career, he does not do well for extended periods of time. I love the trade from the standpoint of being a fan of the Pacers. We no longer have to deal with matching up against Chauncey Billups (who usually kills our PG's)

WOW! Could be a very interesting trade for Detroit - could either work by changing up the team style....or kill the team by changing up the team style

I think the iverson factor has worn off. Great player but he isnt at potent as he used to be. Does he bring leadership? Or does he bring another "Me" type offense?

I just hope this doesnt hinder Jose Calderon from becoming an All star PG starter!!

orangejello727 said:
I think the iverson factor has worn off. Great player but he isnt at potent as he used to be. Does he bring leadership? Or does he bring another "Me" type offense?

I just hope this doesnt hinder Jose Calderon from becoming an All star PG starter!!

Jose Calderon won't get voted on as a starter anyway. He might make the team as a coach's pick but the fans won't vote him on.

Steve_O_21 said:
Jose Calderon won't get voted on as a starter anyway. He might make the team as a coach's pick but the fans won't vote him on.

Its true that the all star game is all about fan favorites. But Im hoping this guy makes it as a starter not because I think he is good, but rather because everyone around the league starts to realize how good he is. Just a hope at this point!!

Antonio McDyess is from what I'm reading is not going to play for Denver. Chauncey Billups has four years left on his contract, Allen Iverson one. The x-factor I should mention here: Rodney Stuckey.

BTW, my Billups stuff is now open to offers, preferably Stuckey, Prince, or Maxeil.

this boosts denver i think, the 'experts' say it wont but im sure that it will. and melo will now not have to share the points

I know the Pistons are supposed to have a great team play but they WOULDN'T have gone to the finals with that team so why not change?
If you can't win, you gotta try and win eh! ;)

I actually think Iverson could be a great addition to the team if he is still quick.
Imagine teams trying to guard Iverson (quick) and Rip (marathon man)?
Teams will be PUFFING and PANTING in game 7 trying to stop those guys!

Billups should complement Melo well... :)

According to Stephen A. Smith, McDyess is refusing to play for Denver and they're going to buy out his contract, then he's going to sign with Detroit again. Well Rex Chapman (front office in Denver) says McDyess will stay with the team.

Smith reported that McDyess would refuse to play for Denver, forcing them to either buy him out or him retiring. Well initially it was reported that Denver was going to buy him out, but now Denver is saying that they will NOT buy him out and he will have to retire if he doesn't want to play for them.

Back