Football Jets LB Pace suspended for four games

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
New York Jets linebacker Calvin Pace has been suspended for the first four games of the 2009 NFL regular season for violating the league's performance-enhancing substance policy.

The NFL, announcing the suspension on Thursday, said Pace will be eligible to return after the Jets' Oct. 4 game against the New Orleans Saints.

In a statement released by the Jets, Pace said the suspension stemmed from his use of an over-the-counter dietary supplement -- which he did not identify -- that contained a substance he did not know violated the policy.

"I am responsible for what I put into my body and I should have paid closer attention to the League's guidelines. I regret that this has happened and apologize to my teammates, the entire Jets organization as well as the fans," Pace said. "Hopefully, this does not distract from our ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl."

The Jets said they respected the league's decision and looked forward to Pace's return for their Monday night game against the Miami Dolphins in Week 5.

Pace, a six-year veteran who spent his first five seasons with the Arizona Cardinals, had 80 tackles, including seven sacks, and five forced fumbles last season for the Jets.

Back