Baseball Joe Torre, MLB Executive VP, talks 2014 Replays

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Speaking to a group from the Baseball Writers’ Association of America, MLB executive VP Joe Torre said “we’re pretty confident we’ll have it in place for 2014,” but only for fair/foul calls and trap calls as well as the home run reviews that have existed since 2008.
Officials still are discussing nuances of the system, Torre said, and that it is possible tweaks could be made as needed in season once the new system is in place. MLB does not want to implement something and then have to remove it completely because it is so flawed. So that puts a damper on something like replay on the bases, although the idea has been discussed.

Calls on the bases seems to be the game’s biggest offender when it comes to blown calls, but that dang pace-of-game problem still exists in commissioner Bud Selig’s mind.

“We have to be careful not to affect the pace of the game. My people hear that from me all the time,” Selig said to the BBWAA group. “People can make light of that, but I don’t care that they make light of it. That’s important.

Huh? What? Blown calls (on the bases) is the game's biggest offender, but MLB IS NOT going to implement a "blown call" review?

If we are going to review fair/foul calls... or trap calls... why not blown calls? This part of the story rally ticks me off...

Calls on the bases seems to be the game’s biggest offender when it comes to blown calls, but that dang pace-of-game problem still exists in commissioner Bud Selig’s mind.

“We have to be careful not to affect the pace of the game. My people hear that from me all the time,” Selig said

So, it's okay if the umpire's blow the call.. just as long as the game starts and finishes in the time allotted?

It shouldn't be that big a problem, depending on whether or not they limit how many a team can ask for. A limit of three or so a game per team should be fine, as there's not THAT many blown calls. That would add ten maybe fifteen minutes to a game, but it's worth it, IMO. Home runs (liners) and and such should be a league review, not a team review, unless they also institute a system where if you win the review, it doesn't get charged to your limit.

Let's use the "Red Flag" system like Football uses... except... if the manager loses the challenge, his team forfeits their next at bat.

Back