McNabb / QB Racism

andy

Collector Planet Original
Transactions: 2
I didnt see the actual interview but its been talked about and snippets shown on ESPN.

Basically (and corect me if I am mistaken) he says
#1. "People" dont want blacks to be QBs
#2 Black QBs are criticized more.
#3 Black QBs have to do more than just win.

I think he is wrong.

#1. Teams will do anything to win (look at Pats!!). No team would pass on a black or white player based on racism.

#2. Eh, i think there may be some circles that want this to be true, but Rex Grossman, Eli, Joey, get plenty of criticism. Moreso than any black QB I think....

#3. See my answer to #1.

Just curious - what do you guys think? I live in a mass of whiteness. I dont even know any black people, except for a few in my classes :):D

I actually think Rush Limbaugh was correct in saying that the media wants a black quarterback to succeed. Look at Vick (pre-dogfighting). He was the darling of of ESPN for a couple years with his athletic ability, until they realeased he could not complete a pass and his receivers could not catch.

On the NFL Network tonight I saw Leftwhich say something along the lines of:

"I'm not the slowest qb, I'm just the slowest black QB"

then he busted up laughing.... It was quite funny. He got a little jab in on Chunky Soup.

I am a huge McNabb fan but I think he is nuts for saying that.

Of course I am white and have no idea what it is like to be black but he always seemed to want to stay away from race issues and now is starting them.

I don't have HBO. I did not see the interview.

And... before anyone is gonna go off on his comments, I think a viewing of the ENTIRE interview would be in order.

I was talking to my girlfriend (she is half black) about racism because I noticed that there is a lot of racism here in London against minorities. For example, she tried to get a key for my hotel room here last night, and the lady was very condescending to her - kind of like - are you sure you're at the right hotel? We're staying at the Waldorf, btw.

Her take on it is this - black men in the U.S. have it a lot harder. They are usually raised in poverty, surrounded by violence and crime, and have been unable to get out of it. The cycle tends to recycle itself. She said that her father went to college, but that his family were not supportive and kept telling him that he should dropout and just get a job.

It's easier for people to accept black women being successful because they are seen as not as intimidating. But when a black man is successful (i.e. being a black QB), the rest of society is definitely more scrutinizing of them.

I'm not saying that McNabb is right, but I can understand what he's saying. How many black men are CEO's of companies? There aren't many role models for young black men, so the scrutiny is tougher on probably the best black QB in the league currently.

Horse sh*t.

Society doesn't want white guys to be running backs in this league.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone really cares about color when it comes to what position you play in football. (i didn't see the interview)

outside of football, he is probably right, but turning it into a race thing is just not smart on his part.

saw the interview.

do not entirely disagree with him.

he is typically a pretty class individual like him or not, but I think he is off base on what he is saying, but I think his perspective is skewed based on the racisim both he and his family has faced in the past. His opinion about his current situation is directly effected by his childhood.

Back