Racing NASCAR owners balk at hiring Mayfield to race

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Four team owners have declined to put Jeremy Mayfield in their cars this weekend at Daytona International Speedway because of sponsor concerns and the notion that Mayfield is "marked" following his legal battle with NASCAR.

Any chance Mayfield had of entering his own No. 41 disappeared, however, when he missed the 3 p.m. ET deadline Thursday.

His indefinite suspension for a failed drug test was lifted by a federal judge Wednesday, allowing him to race this weekend. He still can race if another team gives him a seat in a car.

Mayfield had said outside court Wednesday that he would travel to Daytona, but wasn't sure in what capacity.

Former series champion Matt Kenseth doesn't believe Mayfield will be shunned by other drivers if he returns.

"I don't think he'll be treated any different," Kenseth said. "I don't know of any people offhand or any people that have ever really had a problem with Jeremy. I don't know if we'll ever know or if there's a way to really find out or not if it's right or wrong. But certainly, if for some reason it was wrong, you feel bad for the guy because he's been kind of crucified already."

And getting back onto the track may prove difficult.

Larry Gunselman and Tommy Baldwin, two owners who potentially could have given Mayfield a ride, said they weren't considering him for Saturday night's race.

"Whether he's right, wrong or different right now, he's marked," said Baldwin, "and that's going to hurt him probably for the rest of his career."

Phil Parsons said he'd keep Dave Blaney in his No. 66 car, and Joe Nemechek said he had no intention of giving up his seat in his No. 87.

"No way," said Nemechek, who has given his seat to Red Bull Racing twice this season after rookie Scott Speed failed to qualify for races. "He's got his own stuff."

NASCAR suspended Mayfield on May 9 after he tested positive in a random drug test on May 1, and spokesman Ramsey Poston confirmed Wednesday that Mayfield tested positive for methamphetamines.

Mayfield sued, and U.S. District Court Judge Graham Mullen issued a temporary injunction that allows Mayfield to return to NASCAR this weekend.

One of Mayfield's attorneys, John Buric, said a civil lawsuit also is planned, and the monetary damages they will seek has increased because of the fallout from NASCAR's ban.

"The fact that he can't go race and can't get people to sponsor him to race as a result of what [NASCAR has] said and done is obviously a part of our damage plan,'' Buric said.

Mayfield said in an affidavit last week that he has laid off 10 employees, borrowed money from family and had to sell personal assets to cover his living expenses.

He's also being sued for more than $86,000 by Triad Racing Technologies for parts, pieces and chassis work that Mayfield allegedly owes the company.

Driving Gunselman's No. 64 was believed to be Mayfield's best opportunity at Daytona, but Gunselman said Southeastern-based discount store Fred's, which signed on to sponsor his car this weekend, did not want to associate with Mayfield.

"They probably would choose not to be involved at this particular time," said Gunselman, who added he had not had any direct conversations with Mayfield about replacing Mike Wallace in the car.

"For being a small, startup team that's struggled, I have to consider every potential scenario for our race team. Everybody's feelings are kind of sensitive at the moment, and I'd have to be very aware of everything involved."

Gunselman said he'd be willing to work with Mayfield going forward, and with no sponsor lined up for next week's race in Chicago, he wouldn't have the Fred's conflict. He also said NASCAR told him Mayfield is clear to drive.

"They said their position is Jeremy is an approved driver, so it was kind of left at that. I don't know where it's going to go from here," Gunselman said. "I've been involved in NASCAR for a long time and I'm hoping all parties can put this thing behind them and move forward in a positive manner. If I can help mediate that or be somehow involved in that, that would be wonderful."

Buric said he planned to get with NASCAR attorneys, as Mullen ordered, later Thursday to discuss plans moving forward.

Ten teams are trying to qualify for eight open spots in Saturday night's race, but only a handful likely would consider making a driver change to accommodate Mayfield.

Told Mayfield had potentially sold a portion of his inventory to raise money, Nemechek said: "I don't think anybody bought it. Not these days."

Baldwin, who was briefly crew chief for Mayfield at Bill Davis Racing in 2006, said he was sticking with Patrick Carpentier this weekend.

"We all like Jeremy, there's no doubt about that," Baldwin said. "The unfortunate thing is the last couple months here, he's gone through his struggles and it's not going to help him in the business world of racing. That's for sure."

Mayfield is going to have troble getting anything after this senerio, he might as well call it quits. Unless he gets a meth dealer to sponer his car.

Back