Basketball Oberto to sign with the Wizards

ozballer23

Bench Warmer

Oberto Agrees To Join Wizards
I just hung up the phone with Fabricio Oberto's agent, Herb Rudoy, who informed me that his client has agreed to sign with the Washington Wizards. I spoke with Rudoy earlier today and he told me that Oberto was "very interested" and would make a decision by early next week, but Oberto apparently only needed a few more hours. He informed Wizards President of Basketball Operations Ernie Grunfeld of his intentions a few moments ago.

Oberto called Rudoy to tell him that he was going to join the Wizards. Oberto provides a veteran big man who can play either power forward for center. I asked Rudoy what pushed Oberto toward the Wizards and he said Oberto "thinks they have a chance to have a terrific team. He analyzed the teams that were interested in him and he felt that in Washington, one, he had a good chance to play, two, they have a new, experienced coach and they have terrific players, which is what he was used to in San Antonio. He figured it out. He thinks it is a great opportunity for him to continue winning."

Oberto chose the Wizards over Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Sacramento and the Lakers. He was hopeful for a return to San Antonio, where he spent his first four seasons, but the Spurs signed veteran center Theo Ratliff on Thursday.

Back