Opinions wanted regarding boxes of unopened wax packs

Calsp3

All-Star
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
I have been juggling with this in my mind for awhile now, so I wanted to get some opinions from you guys.
I have some boxes of unopened wax packs from the Topps 1987, 1988 and 1992 seasons just sitting on a shelf. The retail boxes that also had some printed cards to cut out on the bottom of the box.
A few times a year I get an itch to open one or two, just for fun, but also wonder if it is better to leave them unopened or go ahead and open them all.
I know this is the junk card era so I am not looking at windfall finds amid the rips. But still.......
Bottom line - does it really matter if I leave them unopened or go ahead and open them?
Thanks for opinions.
Carlton

I have been juggling with this in my mind for awhile now, so I wanted to get some opinions from you guys.
I have some boxes of unopened wax packs from the Topps 1987, 1988 and 1992 seasons just sitting on a shelf. The retail boxes that also had some printed cards to cut out on the bottom of the box.
A few times a year I get an itch to open one or two, just for fun, but also wonder if it is better to leave them unopened or go ahead and open them all.
I know this is the junk card era so I am not looking at windfall finds amid the rips. But still.......
Bottom line - does it really matter if I leave them unopened or go ahead and open them?
Thanks for opinions.
Carlton
Carlton, great question! I just won two boxes from @Foul Territory Cards (thanks again!!) and our family opened them yesterday, saving a dozen packs to open with my friends when they come to STL for our annual Cardinals game.

Opening them at home yesterday was a TON of fun!! We were chasing Cardinals in baseball and Cowboys in football, and played a game to see who got the most players with moustaches or mullets! We ended up with 2 Troy Aikman RCs, some Jerry Rice cards, Joe Montana, Ryne Sandberg, Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn, and a ton of Cardinals....Ozzie, McGee, Worrell, etc.!

Looking on eBay right now, there are a ton of sealed boxes from that era, and while they do sell, I am sure most of your profits will go to shipping. I'd see about selling at a yard sale, consignment shop, or something like that, if you do decide to sell. Every card shop I have ever been to has lots of sealed boxes, you may have some luck trading for store credit or something like that if you have a local card shop.

Otherwise, RIP those packs!! It's a ton of fun to be a kid again for a few hours, I sure was yesterday!!

Cheers!!

Kevin

I’m totally with @kclj520 on this one….nothing there is going to make you rich. I busted some 87 Topps a while back just for fun and then traded to put together the set…really brought me back to my early days as a collector
@AndyDrummond

Thanks friend! I got into collecting because of that 87 Topps set, I loved the wood borders, and some great photos of the players in there too! I was 6 in 1987, and I collected as many of those cards as I possibly could!!

Cheers!

Kevin

Thanks guys. Knew there aren’t any profits to be made from these sets, and I already have all the Braves from these sets, so maybe I will rip some and save some, and have some fun with it.

Having fun with it the way Kevin suggested is cool. My wife opens packs with me and we both choose the best cards from our packs and the winner takes a pack from the loser. I will say, there are many times where something like “I got Justin Verlander and he’s married to Kate Upton” is a winning card against a top RC, but that’s the fun of it.

Having fun with it the way Kevin suggested is cool. My wife opens packs with me and we both choose the best cards from our packs and the winner takes a pack from the loser. I will say, there are many times where something like “I got Justin Verlander and he’s married to Kate Upton” is a winning card against a top RC, but that’s the fun of it.

@AndyDrummond

That sounds like a blast as well!! Your wife sounds like she's a good sport, you two came up with a cool game..... that's ultimately the point of this or any hobby, for fun!

Cheers!!

Kevin

Thanks guys. Knew there aren’t any profits to be made from these sets, and I already have all the Braves from these sets, so maybe I will rip some and save some, and have some fun with it.
@Calsp3

Great idea! If you want to unload any Cardinals, let me know, there's a ton of signings in our area, always good to have some extras on hand just in case!

Cheers!

Kevin

Open them with your kids/wife or by yourself. Have fun. Life’s too short and too stressful. Spend all the time you can in life having fun.
@horfin

GREAT advice, especially this time of year!!

Merry Christmas!

Back