Basketball Pistons visit with free agents Gordon, Villanueva

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Sharp-shooting Bulls guard Ben Gordon and his ex-Connecticut teammate, Charlie Villanueva, were in Michigan on Wednesday for talks with the Detroit Pistons about joining the team.

The meetings are considered a shared visit, sources told ESPN.com. Like Gordon, Villanueva, formerly of the Milwaukee Bucks, is a free agent.

Villanueva is believed to be high on the wish list of the Cleveland Cavaliers, who embarrassed the Pistons by sweeping them in the opening round of the playoffs. Villanueva's agents declined comment.

Gordon was the Bulls' top scorer the past four years and became an unrestricted free agent after the season. Chicago officials had said bringing him back next year was a top priority.

The Bulls drafted Gordon with the third pick in 2004.

"I know what I have here" in Chicago, Gordon said in May. "I love all my teammates. I love this city. So I definitely, in an ideal world, would like to be back here. That's the way I felt the last two summers and [a long-term contract] hasn't happened."

As a restricted free agent last summer, Gordon found few options and accepted the Bulls' $6.4 million tender offer just before the deadline in early October.

The Pistons are in a good position to improve their lineup for the coming season with about $20 million under the salary cap to work with, to say nothing about four of the first 44 picks in the NBA draft.

"We're definitely in the mode of reshaping our roster," Joe Dumars, Detroit's president for basketball operations, said last week. "We need to add about three or four talented players by drafting them, signing them or trading for them."

The meeting with Gordon comes one day after Dumars announced the firing of first-year coach Michael Curry.

The two played together at Detroit, but that wasn't enough to save Curry's job after he led the team to a 39-43 regular-season record and four lopsided playoff losses to the Cavaliers after six straight Eastern Conference finals appearances.

Back