Proper Protection For Cards

JoshSmith100

Bench Warmer
What would you suggest to properly protect your jersey/autograph cards? I generally use the sleeves, but I feel like they dont protect the cards good enough. What do you use for your cards to protect them?

I use a soft-sleeve, top-loader, and team-set bag for my better cards. If you use just the soft-sleeve, an accidental bump can damage the card. If you use a soft-sleeve and top-loader, the top-loader protects the card from bumps, but gets scratched up over time, which I hate, so I use a team-set bag over that to keep the top-loader clean and scratch-free. The team-set bags are resealable, and keep most dust out too, meaning twenty years from now the tops of the cards that are exposed to air when just using soft-sleeves and/or top-loaders shouldn't yellow with age. I plan ahead lol

There are many, many other methods, and none are particularly cheap. Team-set bags cost about $25/1000, for instance. Top-loaders cost even more, and come in a variety of thicknesses. Still, if you have enough valuable cards and want to protect them, you gotta shell out some $$$, or your cards may wind up near-worthless years from now.

So I'd advice your next step to be buying a pack of top-loaders from a local card-shop or somewhere. Get however many you think you'll need, and try not to handle them much afterwards as they'll scratch easy and eventually you'll need to replace 'em. A shop may or may not have team-set bags...I don't know, I bought mine online...but you only really need them if you're as nuts as I am lol

I'f you only have a few cards, I'd see if the shop has old top-loaders for sale, otherwise you should buy a pack and keep 'em for later as your collection is likely to grow. Make sure to buy a pack with thicker loaders as standard loaders are usually too thin for game-used/relics.

A binder with those laminated sheets and pockets to slide them into. And the binder goes in a safe or under the mattress.
Yep, those work well for when you want to view your cards a lot. I'm in the process of moving all my cheaper Packer cards to Packer-Binders...which I've had for years but never got around to using for Packer cards.

I also use them for certain sets: ST-TNG Season cards are perfect for those 9-pocket pages, as they were designed to be displayed in them. I also use them for a lot of my mid to late 90's Crown Royale, Prism, and Invincible football cards...because I like those sets. I have a few other binders for odds and ends, mostly inserts.

So yeah, binders are a great way to store cards too.

A binder with those laminated sheets and pockets to slide them into. And the binder goes in a safe or under the mattress.
I guess a binder is a good idea but I dont know, you mostly dont put Game Used cards into binders. They are generally in sleeves or cases, but I dont want my cards to be in sleeves because the corners get damaged. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Top loaders seems like the best one so far.

Store your collection in a fire-proof case or safe to ensure that a fire won't destroy your collection.Pay attention to the temperature! Humidity can make cards stick together, resulting in rips when pulled apart. Heat can also warp cards and cause sleeved cards to grow mold. Keep cards at room temperature.

I use a penny sleeve and top loader. The better cards goes into a team bag afterwards. I find thats the most efficient way.

7178473059_8ffacc4755.jpg

Back