Racing Sponsorship keeps Allmendinger's 44 on track

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
A.J. Allmendinger now has sponsorship that will keep him on the track through the Sept. 12 Sprint Cup race at Richmond International Raceway, the cutoff for the Chase for the Cup.

Richard Petty Motorsports officials announced on Wednesday that Hunt Brothers Pizza will sponsor the No. 44 Dodge for six races plus the All-Star Race at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

Officials will continue to look for deals that would allow Allmendinger to drive the entire 36-race schedule.

"This is awesome news," Allmendinger said in a statement. "I want to thank Hunt Brothers Pizza for coming on board and supporting us. I know our fans and NASCAR fans in general certainly appreciate all they are doing for the sport."

Allmendinger was guaranteed only the first eight races when the season started, meaning next week's race at Phoenix would have been his last. The next four -- Talladega, Richmond, Darlington and the Coke 600 -- as well at the All-Star Race were added after a fast start that had him up to 15th in points before a 34-place finish at Texas.

"We have shown that we have the ability to run up front in this series," said Allmendinger, who won the 2008 Sprint Open, a prelim to the All-Star Race. "You are going to see our results get progressively better the longer this team stays together.

"We started the year putting an emphasis on qualifying, but now that we are locked in the starting field we can turn our attention to the race and that's going to help our race results."

Tom Reddin, the CEO at RPM, is excited about Allmendinger's potential.

"AJ has done a heck of a job placing the No. 44 in the top 20, and we've been able to form some great partnerships along the way," he said. "The success we are having on and off the track has helped us extend our schedule for the 44 team at least through the second Richmond race, and with a little help from some additional partners, we should have a good shot at making a successful full season.

"We think the on-track performance of the 44 team, AJ's personality, and all the assets of the Richard Petty Motorsports organization makes this team a very attractive and unique opportunity for potential partners."

Allmendinger left Red Bull Racing near the end of last season to pursue multiyear offers with other teams instead of taking a one-year deal to stay. When the economy dried up the multiyear offers went away, leaving him to sign with RPM to drive a car that was partially sponsored.

He began the season by finishing third in the Daytona 500 and was ninth at Martinsville.

I saw that too. That is really great because AJ drives his guts out every week and I think that he could really be a threat if he just had racing to focus on.

Back