Basketball Tony Allen could miss start of season

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers deemed guard Tony Allen "day to day" with ankle soreness after he missed Friday's open practice in Lowell.

But after once again sitting out Saturday's session at the Sports Authority Training Center at HealthPoint, Allen didn't seem so keen on the timetable for his return.

Allen, rehabbing from arthroscopic right ankle surgery and posterior tibial tendon repair during the offseason, talked about recent setbacks Saturday, pointing to inflammation and scar tissue in the ankle.

Allen also noted he might have been a bit too enthusiastic about trying to get back on the court -- he approached Rivers just before tipoff of an exhibition game against the New York Knicks on Oct. 9 -- and the ankle hasn't responded well since he logged a little over eight scoreless minutes.

Now it sounds like Allen might not be ready to return to game action until the second week of the season.

"It was unfortunate that it swelled up on me afterwards," said Allen. "It was aching pretty bad. I'm just focusing on trying to get this right. I know it's going to take a little time, but I feel my body is in shape."

Entering his sixth season in Boston, Allen has been riddled with injuries ever since he appeared to be breaking out early in the 2006-07 campaign. In January of 2007, he tore both the ACL and MCL in his left knee while attempting a post-whistle dunk and missed the remainder of the season.

Allen was underwhelming after returning to the court in 2007-08. Last season he underwent surgery on his left thumb after a freak accident at practice and, despite a short bench in the postseason, he was ultimately a non-factor for the Celtics.

Allen remains confident about his return to action.

"I've got days for extra strengthening, extra conditioning, I feel good from that standpoint," he said. "It's just an aching injury, that they expected to be aching around this point."

Back