Baseball What does G have to do with DAISUKE MATSUZAKA BOSTON RED SOX

MikefromChester

Bench Warmer
What does G have to do with DAISUKE MATSUZAKA BOSTON RED SOX?
Am I missing something or could the G be a error rookie card, like the 1990 Topps #414 Frank Thomas error? There is another G on Ebay, will be interesting to see how one does without the BUY IT NOW OPTION.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=270236299578

While waiting to see what Upper Deck does with my redemption on this card, I picked this one off of Ebay. Most knows the redemption story but I'll recap it. Upper Deck first stated Inventory depleted. Please contact customer service for exchange. 1-800-873-7332 and then switched it to Athlete committed to signing soon, please be patient, and they also sent a email saying allow 12-16 weeks. So to be on the safe side I purchased this one off Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=270235471166

Thanks, Mike

On 4/29/2008 12:57:49 PM, we received your online redemption for: 2007 SP AUTHENTIC BASEBALL BY THE LETTER ROOKIE SIGNATURES CD#150; Athlete: DAISUKE MATSUZAKA.

Please allow up to 12-16 weeks for delivery. We will send you an e-mail when your redemption item ships. You can view the status of your redemption online simply by logging in and choosing 'My Redemptions' from the My Upper Deck menu.

To verify your shipping address, log in and choose 'My Account' from the My Upper Deck menu.

DAISUKE MATSUZAKA
2007 SP AUTHENTIC BASEBALL BY THE LETTER ROOKIE SIGNATURES CD#150 Athlete committed to signing soon, please be patient.

dicekG817.jpg

dicekG818.jpg

G? hmmmm THAT is odd.... I tried to think of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that the "G" could stand for and I couldnt come up with ANYTHING...OR EVERYTHING lol

Could it be from a name from his Japanese League team?

EDIT: Matsuzaka won his first official pro game in his first start of the 1999 season against the Nippon Ham Fighters

Honestly, I think they have them sign the whole alphabet or something. I saw a LenDale White - Tennessee Titans - Running Back - letter "O".????

And on eBay is a Vince Young - Tennessee Titans - Quarterback - Texas Longhorns - Hot Prospects Endorsements - letter "F"????????

marinocollector said:
Can't find the young you are referring too, link please? I'd be VERY interested in that card... also, my money is still on Go Sox

The Young is Item #300224669265. But it is an 06 National Treasures not Hot Prospects. Still no "F" in National Treasures, either.

I thought the letter patches / lettermen were originally intended to be the players' last names from the backs of the jerseys. They have gotten so wildly popular that the companies have just gotten ridiculous with them, spelling out everything, or sometimes nothing in particular. At least nothing to do with the players.
So maybe the Dice-K letter "g" is for "Fahrfegnugen". That seems random enough.

I think its more of a way to keep things interesting for player collectors and over all value of the cards... a lot of people like an dcollect all the letters of the player, with 6 sets out using letters, a player collector of say, Dale Murphy, could collect one letter from each set instead of all the letters from one set.... with nicknames and team phrases and team names like Upper Deck has started to do involving the parallel cards, it allows collectors more options and variety for their collection. So one could have the regualr version /199 spelling matsuzaka, one numbered to 50 spelling dice kand one numbered to ten spelling "go sox."

Back