Baseball Where will this end?

WOW! I'd give my left arm, left eye and left foot to have those hanging on the wall here at home. Considering the undeniable provenance and photo matching I say they get damn close to 150,000.00 or better.

devils advocate here...

"Multiple photos from this era show Ruth wearing these pants..."

I would have thought this auction house would have had a true "sports authority" look at these to verify that they are in fact from the Babe. And does it bother anyone else that his stitched name looks like his autograph? I worked at a sign company that had a embroidery department and when local teams (high school, college, etc) asked to have their names embroidered, they always used block letters.

Not saying this is not real...and I have to agree...they should be in the Hall of Fame, but just raising some questions.

On a side note, there was a sports collectors show on The Discovery Channel (maybe it was A&E or the History Channel?) a year or two ago, and they were associated with Grey Flannel Auctions. They constantly purchased items that were later found out NOT to be legit.

All I can say is buyer beware!

...and with all that being said, I would bet that the last couple of hours will be crazy and you will see this easily surpass $80K

devils advocate here...

"Multiple photos from this era show Ruth wearing these pants..."

I would have thought this auction house would have had a true "sports authority" look at these to verify that they are in fact from the Babe. And does it bother anyone else that his stitched name looks like his autograph? I worked at a sign company that had a embroidery department and when local teams (high school, college, etc) asked to have their names embroidered, they always used block letters.

Not saying this is not real...and I have to agree...they should be in the Hall of Fame, but just raising some questions.

On a side note, there was a sports collectors show on The Discovery Channel (maybe it was A&E or the History Channel?) a year or two ago, and they were associated with Grey Flannel Auctions. They constantly purchased items that were later found out NOT to be legit.

All I can say is buyer beware!

...and with all that being said, I would bet that the last couple of hours will be crazy and you will see this easily surpass $80K

The provenance is about as genuine as you can get with the pants having come from his daughter in 1974. The photo matching is rather common, especially when an older item like this is being sold. Generally with verified provenance you really don't need an authentication from a third party. As for the embroidery, script was very common back in that time period and quite a few people made their capital R's similar to Babe's. The red stitching was common as well on uniforms and the like to make them easily identifiable at a quick glance.

And does it bother anyone else that his stitched name looks like his autograph? I worked at a sign company that had a embroidery department and when local teams (high school, college, etc) asked to have their names embroidered, they always used block letters.

It's not that big of a deal for the the team seamstress to have Babe sign the uni, and then stitch over the handwriting.

Mike nailed this one at $152,000. I guess the buyers premium pushed it to $183,500. someone owns a nice piece eh?

wow...amazing! but what do you do with them? frame them up and hang them in the man cave? would like to see what else the buyer has in his collection!

Back