Wrestling dropped from 2020 Olympic Games

S

SCF Sports News

IOC leaders dropped wrestling from the Olympic program on Tuesday, a surprise decision that removes one of the oldest Olympic sports from the 2020 Games.

More...

What is the IOC thinking?

REAL Wrestling has been part of the Olympics since day one.

...and yet, the IOC is proposing badminton, sailing and canoeing in their list of 25 sports for competition at the 2020 games?

Wrestling boring? you have to be kidding. It may not be the WWE or TNA, but Olympic Wrestling is fun! (NOTE: I wrestled in High School..so I'm a big fan of real wrestling)

This is actually bs. Wrestling was one of the core events in the earliest Olympic Games; it's tradition. Not to mention all those who have dedicated their lives to wrestling in hopes of one day getting into the Olympics. One of the worst decisions by the IOC.

I don't think softball should be in the Olympics...I don't think sports like football, basketball, hockey, and soccer should be either. Don't get me wrong, I love all of those sports,but they're team strategy sports. The Olympics is really more of an athletic competition. The most important player on team strategy sports is always the coach, and the Olympics is a competition for athletes. Wrestling should definitely still be in there.

This is really sad, wresting has been an olympic event for so long. I hate to see traditions fading, I'm sure a lot of wrestling athletes and fans are going to be heartbroken.

I don't think softball should be in the Olympics...I don't think sports like football, basketball, hockey, and soccer should be either. Don't get me wrong, I love all of those sports,but they're team strategy sports. The Olympics is really more of an athletic competition. The most important player on team strategy sports is always the coach, and the Olympics is a competition for athletes. Wrestling should definitely still be in there.
Agreed - the Olympics of old were based around the physical prowess of individual athletes, not team sports. Strength, endurance, speed, these were the factors that made Olympians great.

Like many people have pointed out, it's very disappointing that wrestling is being removed as it was one of the sports that symbolizes the Olympics. I hope this decision gets reversed.

Back