Early Season Stock Watch: 2010 NFL Draft Quarterbacks

sffanmike25

Bench Warmer
With many NFL teams having a lingering need for a QB, I’ve kept an eye on what’s going on around college football for pro prospects. I figure threads like this will be fun to look at in December and March. I haven't listed all QB's, so add your opinion or choices in replies.

Stock Has Gone Up:

Jake Locker, Washington: His stock has gone up exponentially. Went from baseball player/high yield project to 1st round prospect. Now that there is more tape of the new Sarkisian play-calling at Washington, maybe we'll see how he does under some more adversity as teams adjust.

Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame: Has stepped it up. Shows good deep touch and has made steady improvement from his hyped entrance into Notre Dame. He is probably a love-hate prospect, with hardly any middle ground on what he can do.

Tony Pike, Cincinnati: Has done well so far. Operates out of the spread, so as a pro, he'll probably have some quirks that aren't noticeable right now.

Dan Lefevour, C. Michigan: Another Spread QB with a strong arm, very good mobility, and a good feel for the game. However, his footwork will need to be fixed at the pro level (for a pro-style offense especially).

Stock has Gone Down:

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma: He hasn’t slipped much, but if you are not playing, you probably are losing ground with someone somewhere. Seeing how he will be back in action against Baylor, I assume he's still on his way out of Norman.

Colt McCoy, Texas: Some people really like this guy, others aren't quite clear what to make of him. Apparently a strong leader, and very mobile, but from there, does he really merit the attention he's given? With his slow start, and his questionable arm strength, he'll need to turn it up a notch.

Jevan Snead, Ole Miss: Ouch. Right now, he's looking like an all tools, no consistency kind of player at the moment. Bad start to the season for him. He’ll have to find a way to shake the inconsistent label against the upper echelon of the SEC.

Quick overall analysis for the early season:

Bradford, McCoy, and Snead came in as favorites from the end of last year, so their circumstances were going to be under the microscope much more than the others. In short: if you are on the top of the mountain, there’s often only one direction to go.

It is very early, and the juniors listed could all come back to school if they stumble. But with an uncertain CBA agreement in the NFL's future, many might rush to get the sure dollars instead of some sort of rookie cap that could be imposed.

With that said, I can't watch every game, so chime in with your thoughts.

Very nice list! Do you plan on doing this for every position?

It'd be terribly tough to analyze some positions like offensive line,:lollol:, but I'll see what I can drag up on a few other key areas. Maybe Dustin has some info floating around as well to contibute. But I know he's drowning in playoff baseball (Dodgers) and CFL football (Rams), so who knows on that.

I hope not, not that he is on the top of the list but I personally would not mind seeing Tebow in a later round.

Not sure Locker is the real deal for a 1st round, ill watch more.

I hope not, not that he is on the top of the list but I personally would not mind seeing Tebow in a later round.

Not sure Locker is the real deal for a 1st round, ill watch more.

Tebow in Knapp's offense, interesting concept.

The knee-jerk reaction on Locker is very high right now, so once that smooths out, we'll get a better idea of where he is at. I'll certainly be watching Locker tomorrow night. :)

I think Seattle should do whatever it takes to keep Locker in the Northwest (assuming he declares). From both a marketing standpoint, and as a need position, it makes too much sense to not get it done.
Locker is my guy right now. The only reason Clausen isn't is because I loathe ND. So I probably just assured that the Rams are gonna take Clausen or Bradford (who I'm also not high on)... go me.

I'll see what I can do on other positions. Defensive tackle has the potential to be absurdly deep this year, with the possibly the No. 1 pick in the draft (Ndamukong Suh). Other first-round prospects include: Gerald McCoy, Marvin Austin, Arthur Jones, Brian Price and Vince Oghobaase.

And yes, that CFL team keeps me extremely busy. ;)

What about Ryan Mallet? He has looked pretty darn good this year.
Good call.

Lots of good junior QB prospects this year. I'd be somewhat surprised if all of them came out. But with a potential rookie salary cap looming, maybe a lot of guys declare and look for a big pay day.

Mallett has been playing damn well of late. I think he's a top 15 pick right now. He might be the most talented guy of all the draft-eligible QBs. No word whether or not he's coming out.

However, the team that picks him should be prepared to sit him for at least one full season. He's so raw, yet so talented. He could use a year to learn the game. I'm usually an advocate of throwing these guys right in, but not in Mallett's case.

Back