Early Season Stock Watch: 2010 NFL Draft Quarterbacks

Not on your list but i like Darryl Clark PSU Qb in the pros. He has a strong arm and good pocket presance. With a good offence he could do really well i think. He does have the nack for not winning thoes big games but i think you can over come that.

Mallett has been playing damn well of late. I think he's a top 15 pick right now. He might be the most talented guy of all the draft-eligible QBs. No word whether or not he's coming out.

However, the team that picks him should be prepared to sit him for at least one full season. He's so raw, yet so talented. He could use a year to learn the game. I'm usually an advocate of throwing these guys right in, but not in Mallett's case.

Good points. He put up real strong numbers against the mid-level competition, but didn't break a 50% pass completion rate against any of the top SEC teams.

He could definitely be the most talented of the draft eligible in terms of upside. Especially in arm strength. But... in 2012, would you want him starting for you, or would you want a guy like Clausen, Locker, Bradford, or McCoy over him?

I'd probably chicken out and opt for Clausen because Bobby Petrino's system has fooled me before on guys like Brian Brohm :doh: :lollol:

And I'm sitting every QB prospect out at least 8 games. Most teams that throw a young QB out there don't have the O-line to keep him both healthy and confident in the gameplan.

He could definitely be the most talented of the draft eligible in terms of upside. Especially in arm strength. But... in 2012, would you want him starting for you, or would you want a guy like Clausen, Locker, Bradford, or McCoy over him?

I'd probably chicken out and opt for Clausen because Bobby Petrino's system has fooled me before on guys like Brian Brohm :doh: :lollol:

And I'm sitting every QB prospect out at least 8 games. Most teams that throw a young QB out there don't have the O-line to keep him both healthy and confident in the gameplan.
Definitely not McCoy or Bradford. McCoy isn't even a first- or second-round prospect and I just don't care for Bradford one bit. Locker is my No. 1 guy and would feel comfortable with him (or Clausen) starting from day one.

Mallett still has a lot to learn (RS sophomore). If the Rams took him, I'd be against him starting right away.

If the Rams bring back Alex Barron, the O-Line has some solid guys (Barron, Smith, Brown), but the guard position would need to be addressed. The O-Line, believe it or not, has been a bright spot (at times) for the Rams.

We'll see what happens. Maybe Mallett won't even declare. We shall see.

FA? Like Marino, Elway, Manning, Manning, Roethlisberger, Palmer, Rivers, Rodgers, Cutler, Brees, Favre, McNabb, Young, Flacco, Ryan.

If there is one and only one position to draft early its QB.

Guys like Brady and Montana are rare, you have to take a QB if you need one and there is talent available.

Never draft a QB in the first 2 rounds. Save your money on a proven free agent.
Elite QBs
Peyton Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees
Philip Rivers
Brett Favre

Tier-2 QBs
Donovan McNabb
Aaron Rodgers
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler
Joe Flacco

First- or Second-rounders who have started more than this season
Chad Pennington
Jason Campbell
Vince Young
Mark Sanchez
Matthew Stafford
Josh Freeman
Brady Quinn
Kyle Boller (not many games)
Alex Smith (not many games)
Matt Leinart (only one game)
JaMarcus Russell (probably shouldn't count)

Over 2/3 and 12 in the upper-half of all QBs who have started this season are former first- or second-round picks. Such a statement is a little far-fetched.

Good list, Dustin. With the majority of the top tier names not having ever hit the free agent market, it probably is best to get in on the ground floor with your franchise QB. In addition, the prospective free agent market for QB's next year looks pretty bleak.

Elite QBs
Peyton Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Drew Brees
Philip Rivers
Brett Favre

Tier-2 QBs
Donovan McNabb
Aaron Rodgers
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler
Joe Flacco

First- or Second-rounders who have started more than this season
Chad Pennington
Jason Campbell
Vince Young
Mark Sanchez
Matthew Stafford
Josh Freeman
Brady Quinn
Kyle Boller (not many games)
Alex Smith (not many games)
Matt Leinart (only one game)
JaMarcus Russell (probably shouldn't count)

Over 2/3 and 12 in the upper-half of all QBs who have started this season are former first- or second-round picks. Such a statement is a little far-fetched.

For every one of those first or second tier guys, I can name 2 bombs from the first two rounds (you have already named a few). If I'm paying a guy $20-75 million, I want to KNOW he's going to be a Pro Bowl caliber player. Who out of this draft are you going to throw that kind of bank at?

For every one of those first or second tier guys, I can name 2 bombs from the first two rounds (you have already named a few). If I'm paying a guy $20-75 million, I want to KNOW he's going to be a Pro Bowl caliber player. Who out of this draft are you going to throw that kind of bank at?
No one knows how guys are going to translate to the pro game. The only sure-thing at QB to come out of the draft in the last 20-25 years has been Peyton Manning. The draft is a crapshoot. Always has been, always will be.

This is likely going to be the last year that rookie salaries are as high as they are. Matt Stafford isn't Peyton Manning and he likely never will be. However, QBs get paid in this league, be it through the draft or free agency.

No one knows how guys are going to translate to the pro game. The only sure-thing at QB to come out of the draft in the last 20-25 years has been Peyton Manning. The draft is a crapshoot. Always has been, always will be.

This is likely going to be the last year that rookie salaries are as high as they are. Matt Stafford isn't Peyton Manning and he likely never will be. However, QBs get paid in this league, be it through the draft or free agency.

Before this new system finds it way into place, I think one of the best bargains in football are/were QB's drafted from picks 15-64. Cheap enough to sit the guy, but most likely you are getting a pretty good % chance at an above average signal caller. 40% of the elite QB's were in that range, and you have some emerging tier 2 guys like Flacco and Rodgers who also went in that range. Rodgers took a while, but it wasn't costing the Packers 10M at the time. Well actually, the Packers were writing 10M checks, but those checks were going to Favre. :LOL:

I think if an influx of QB's hits the 2010 draft, you'll see some teams get a good ROI out of a mid-late 1st round QB pick.

Back